Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Group shortname

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 September 2012, 3:42

I'm currently trying to update group membership via CSV as per the instructions at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5/site_admin/groups.html#new15-update-group-members-by-csv

The group already exists, and so, I know what it is called(!).

The CSV file calls upon the group shortname to be used. However, I'm unable to find it via the Administer groups page... or anywhere else.

Is there a a place where I can find this information? Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Nitin

Account deleted

03 September 2012, 3:43

I should also say (if it isn't obviously already) that I'm working with Mahara 1.5.1.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 September 2012, 5:32

Hello Nitin,

Did you create the group via a CSV file? If not, you can't update the group membership via a CSV file. The manual states: "You can easily update members of groups that you have created via a CSV file." All others that you created manually do not have a group shortname, but only CSV-created groups.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

03 September 2012, 5:40

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I don't believe that the group was created via a CSV file.

I guess that it'll be a case of enrolling them onto the group one by one then...?! Undecided

Nitin

06 September 2012, 5:20

Hello Nitin,

If you have already used the discussion forums in the group, I'm afraid adding the students or asking them to register would be your only options. If you haven't used the group much yet and only uploaded files and created pages, you could set up a new group via CSV and then copy the pages over. Files that had been added to them are copied as well.

Cheers

Kristina

Marius Jugariu's profile picture

10 July 2013, 1:31

Hi Kristina,

Isn't there any way to insert the shortname from the back-end? I have a large group of students that will join us and will need access to an existing, developed group and wouldn't want the joy of adding them manually :(

Regards,

10 July 2013, 21:19

Hello Marius,

You can add the shortname in the database. Please test it out first though before making a change to your live group. If your users are members of an institution, you need to provide the institution shortname in the DB as well.

In order to check that I did everything correct and had all the values I needed, I created a test group via CSV file and then added the shortname for my real group in the same column as there was one for the test group. I had my group in an institution, and thus I needed to add the institution shortname in the DB as well. If you set up your test group as part of the institution (because your users are in an institution), then you can just copy that shortname and you don't have to go hunting for it. If everyone is in "No institution" then you shouldn't have to worry about this bit.

In my PostgreSQL DB I find the group shortname in the table "group" and then the column is "shortname".

In order to add your students, you will need to know their Mahara usernames. An easy way to get all those would be to go to the User search, tick all students that you require and click "Get reports" and then you can download a CSV file with the student info, take out everything that you don't need for the group CSV upload, add the group shortname and the role for the students and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results