Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Copying text boxes

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 September 2012, 3:39

Hi Wullie,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have finally bottomed out why I have been confused by the anomaly with copying Text Boxs.

When I copy the sys admin pages the text boxes are not linked, when I copy my own pages the text boxes are linked.  I have been working alone thus far but this morning a colleague helped me test out the process and I found that when I copy the sys admin pages the text boxes are not linked, when I copy my own pages the text boxes are linked.

I created a page with a text box and made it copyable.  My colleague copied it and on editing the text box found there was no option to make a copy, the same condition as when I copy sys admin pages. Consequently I can make a template page, staff/students can copy it and their will be no link to the text boxes on my page. A great sigh of relief has arisen.

Referring back to your original I now appreciate that students copying their copy of your page would result in their text boxes being linked.  I presume the trick would be to continue to copy your original.

I hope this makes sense.

regards,

Arthur Loughran

Wullie's profile picture

04 September 2012, 4:36

Arthur,

Thanks for the feedback.

I assumed that copying down through others did that, but hadn't really tested it, so thanks for doing that and letting me know the outcome.

Even still (as per Kristina's bug), the text could do with being more obvious.

Having said that, it's a nice reminder to go and mark-up that the bug affects me to get viewed more.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 September 2012, 5:06

Hello Wullie and Arthur,

I was told we can include links in pop-ups. So that should solve the problem because then a user must click on an option to continue. Could you please head over to https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1044878 and check if you'd be happy with the revised text?

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

07 September 2012, 5:07

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for following up on this issue.

Given that the condition is to a mainatin the link by default I suggest that the "No" option is not required.

Please find below a form of words which (for me) clarifies the issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you edit the text of this block, it will also be changed in 1 other block(s) where it appears.

If you want this block to be a new and separate entity click the "Yes" button.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The word "entity" could be any of "text box", "note", "artefact".

Regards,

Arthur Loughran

07 September 2012, 22:22

Hello Arthur,

Thank you for your wording suggestion. However, we need the "No" option because otherwise the po-up is not going away. Wink

Cheers

Kristina

A post by Account deleted was deleted

16 January 2013, 10:59

Hello Arthur,

I've been revisiting this bug and rethinking the pop-up. If we use a pop-up, we'll have a pop-up over a lightbox and the pop-up would come up every time if the text box is linked to another. I would get a bit annoyed with time I think and am wondering what other people would think. We can easily make the message red which is currently green to make it stand out more but not cause pop-up overkill.

What do you think?

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

28 January 2013, 6:08

Hi Kristina,

the less popups, the better in my oppinion. Red text makes sense to me. Perhaps move 'Make a copy' to the begginning of the text. An idea could be to call it 'Duplicate' ---semantics I now.

Wullie's profile picture

29 January 2013, 2:46

Kristina,

Through Firebug, I quickly changed the background colour of the message to red, the link text color to white (because the previous green didnt work with the red) and increased the font size to 1.2em.

Even these small changes in the css I think makes it a bit more obvious, as per below.

Altered copy view

Thoughts?

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

29 January 2013, 14:35

Looks good to me.

One suggestion: Would it make sense to move that line to the bottom of the window? The user is already at the bottom browsing available textboxes and I found myself constantly scrolling up to make a copy, especially on a smaller screen. Please see image below.

Also, when I select a textbox that is part of a page that I copied from another user, I do not get a choice of of 'Make a copy'. Not sure if that's a bug or intended. Please see below.