Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Block images

Wullie's profile picture

21 August 2012, 3:54

Hi,

After discussions with some of my lecturers, they are unsure about the new blocks only images in Mahara 1.5.

Is there a way that I can pull the block titles through to be visible as well (I'm guessing its just a line of code somewhere, but after a little digging around, I can't see where)?

Thanks in advance

A post by Account deleted was deleted

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 August 2012, 5:56

there is nothing you can do to block images from all pop up adds with out blocking other images.

muscle rip x

Don Presant's profile picture

21 August 2012, 6:32

Here is the way to deal with it, from Melissa Draper:

The blocktype names are hidden by javascript because of clutter, and now show up in a tooltip when you hover over the blocktype icons. You can potentially re-theme with a version of htdocs/theme/raw/templates/view/blocktypelist.tpl that omits the js-hidden class that is hiding the blocktype titles.

Just a note: you need to unsuppress both title and explanations. At least I did, since the titles alone don't do it for me

But should we have a discussion about which state (with titles vs. images only) should be the default? This adds to my cost in upgrading. I'm considering submitting a bug report to get things back to where they were. Big barrier to new users and those who have been away from the interface for a while. Wrong direction for accessibility, which is an issue for Mahara, in my opinion.

Wullie's profile picture

21 August 2012, 7:56

Thanks Don.

Removing the js-hidden worked.

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 August 2012, 21:27

I am with Don on this. Take a look at the image below. There are 4 blocks I can use that have something to do with Journals. As a frequent user of mahara, I too have to hover over each one to remind myself what they do. I am all for less clutter and neatness but it seems more efficient to have the description of the blocks side-by-side. Also, do the tool tips work on tablets?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 August 2012, 16:28

Hello,

If you want to test what a tablet can see, you could either try 1.5 or test the responsive design that's currently in review.

Demo installation: http://master-mahara.catalystdemo.net.nz/ with

login: demo

password: mahara1

Hugh moved things around a bit in the reviews, but I think the one you should use is https://reviews.mahara.org/#/c/1575/ if you want to make your own installation to test the responsive design.

As for the descriptions: If they shall not appear as tooltips anymore, what about shortening them a bit so that they are not so endlessly long? It should be possible to separate the title from the description so that you don't have to display both. For the journals, for example, when you are on the tab "Journals" I think we could leave out the "Journal" from 3 of the 4 block types in the title.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results