Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
What do you want to do on a mobile phone?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 May 2012, 3:26

Hello,

One of our designers at Catalyst started on a proof of concept for a theme that would work across a range of devices. That would mean that not a series of different themes or entry ways into a site are created, but that everything that is visible to the user on a given device is governed by the design. That was a very brief description of what responsive design wants to achieve as far as I understand it.

Thus, when you are on a computer, you have the whole range of functionalities available, whereas when you move to a tablet, you might not be able to do X and when you move down to the screen of a smartphone, you will not see XYZ because the device is not well-suited for performing that activity. So we are not talking about an iPhone app or an Android app etc., but what do you want to do when you go to your Mahara site.

We would like to know from you - especially smartphone users and those who have considered it - what you would like to be able to do on a smartphone such as Android phone, iPhone, Windows-based phone etc. Please give us a maximum of 5 things that you would like to do on such a small screen.

Please also let us know into which user category you fall, e.g. teacher, student, admin.

We would love to hear from you as users what these 5 top calls for action are for you. If you want to ask students / teachers etc. at your school or university and collate the information, you can also send the results to [email protected] .

Thank you very much.

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

15 June 2012, 3:26

Kristina,

As an admin, there's not a lot I'd really like to do on my phone (at a push be able to suspend users in case I was a away from my PC at a conference/workshop or something).

Lecturers, I'd imagine would like to be able to view any new pages shared/submitted to group since I last logged in and an oppoprtunity to view/leave feedback on them. I'd probably also want to be able to post new forum messages/replies too.

As a student, I'd probably want to be able to do as much as possible.

16 June 2012, 20:00

Hello Wullie,

Thank you for your freedback. Would you also want to create a page?

Cheers

Kristina

Paul Tosney's profile picture

17 June 2012, 11:20

Hi Kristina,

if I wanted to perform and admin task I would go for my laptop, not my smartphone. The same goes for a teacher function. I don't think I'd find myself in the situation where I only had ny smartphone and thought it would be good to do some teacher/admin work. A quick reply to messages and forum posts, and as an admin the ability to hide a forum post until I can deal with it later, might be about it.

As a user/student though I can definately see myself taking photos, uploading them, and then possibly creating a page and sharing it.

17 June 2012, 15:12

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you that I'd want to do most things on a computer. There is just much more screen real estate available.

The "uploading of photos" can be done via MaharaDroid (it's getting better and better - Alan is working on some cool new functionality) and also PortfolioUp (not updated for Mahara 1.5 I think).

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

17 June 2012, 18:03

Yes, quickly taking photographs, small videos and voice recording to then upload is useful for a mobile device. Perhaps there could be a upload compression/resizing feature.

Pete Potter's profile picture

04 July 2012, 4:50

Hi Kristina,

Its hard to prioritise 5 things, so in no particular order

• access inbox/notifications
  • view pages
  • leave feedback on a page
  • grade a page
look forward to seeing the progress.

Pete

05 July 2012, 3:52

Hello Pete,

Thank you for your feedback and good seeing you here. Smile

With "grade page" do you mean giving feedback?

Cheers

Kristina

Pete Potter's profile picture

05 July 2012, 16:15

Yes, pretty much. Either using stars or through feedback.

I think easy access to small tasks are needed  - things which can't wait until you get back to your desk.

PS. Read about your earth moving presentation! Surprised

07 July 2012, 2:32

Hello Pete,

Thanks for confirming that you meant the feedback section.

Yes, giving a presentation and having an earthquake happening shortly after its start with the audience at the other end of the world not knowing what's going as as all they can hear is my sparse commentary, isn't something to repeat.

Enjoy the stable British Isles.

Cheers

Kristina

20 results