Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Mahara user access and privileges

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 May 2012, 10:40

Hello All

My University implemented Mahara as e-portfolio for engineering faculty. The teachers have couple question and I would like to know if is possible.

There is a way that students can't delete there owns document?

Because the teacher ask, what happen if students after end up class delete all the material, and we want to see does material again.

Is possible as soon the students create a page or portfolio, the teacher can view and have access to student’s portfolio without need of friend request?

Teacher said, they don’t want to wait until student’s send request or teacher send request to get access to student’s portfolio.

Teacher can send feedback per document’s, material or homework individually instead of globally?  

For example if a student upload a video or one document, and the teacher want’s to feedback this unique video or document he can do it without using the feedback globally.

Thanks for your help. 

Juan victor Dominguez

Dominican Republic

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 May 2012, 16:25

Hello Juan,

Mahara is centered around learner ownership and thus gives the learners pretty much the ultimate power over what they want to share with whom and when. You would have to customize Mahara in order to not allow learners to delete their own documents or to give teachers immediate access to their portfolios.

In regard to your question about feedback on individual artefacts: Learners can turn that functionality on on most file types and also for text boxes. Journal entries can also receive comments individually.

Cheers

Kristina

22 May 2012, 0:56

Hello Juan,

Kristina is right. A portfolio (paper or electronic) is a private collection of evidences, students have to manage to show skills and reflection on them and on the way they acquired them.

Whether teacher want to keep the handle on what and how the students are doing in VLE (virtual learning environment, such as Sakai, Moodle, Claroline, Blackboard...), a portfolio is a students' private place for their learning.

I recommend you start by reading articles and book about ePortfolio for learning, teaching, assessing before you decide if this tool is really what you want to implement in your institution. There are good books (such as The Educational Potential of e-Portfolios: Supporting Personal Devlelopment and Relfectiive Learning) and a search on scholar.google.com will help you for articles.

Regards,

-dajan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 June 2012, 9:15

Thanks a lot for your help. I will keep loking for documentation.

4 results