Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Importing a Leap2A file into personal account

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 May 2012, 4:23

At present students at York St John University have access to Mahara as a Uni user but have raised concerns about what happens when they leave.  Can they export their ePortfolio as a LEAP2A file and can this be imported to a personal account at Mahara?

Thanks

Annette (IT Trainer for students)

Sigi's profile picture

14 May 2012, 7:16

Hi Annette,

the students can save their stuff as Leap file but only an admin who has the right to create a new user can upload it to their new profile.... there seems to be the problem. Hopefully in near future, users might be given the right to import their stuff with a new registration......  I wish I could tell my users a more positive answer to this problem too.....

Sigi

Account deleted

14 May 2012, 9:59

I've always been keen to see an 'Export to HTML' type feature within Mahara.

It already exists in Confluence for example, allowing an entire wiki space to be exported and then accessed via a web browser.

Admittedly, my idea with Mahara implementing such functionality would be to retain the e-portfolio as a time capsule, rather than continue to add to it over time.

Nitin

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 May 2012, 15:18

Hello Nitin,

Mahara has had an "Export to HTML" for a long time now (1.2 I think): http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5_STABLE/portfolio/export.html

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

15 May 2012, 2:29

Thanks... and apologies! Clearly this functionality had passed me by

*trudges off to experiment!*

15 May 2012, 4:36

Hello Nitin,

No worries. Smile

Cheers

Kristina

14 May 2012, 15:21

Hello Annette and Sigi,

The blueprint for improving the import of Mahara to allow users to import their own portfolios already exists. Now somebody just has to implement it... Wink

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

14 May 2012, 22:59

Hello Annette and Sigi:

There are a few mahara hosting providers who offer that kind of service; paid and free. In our case, all a user would do is upload their LEAP export to this address http://www.icampus21.com/?q=node/add/leap2aupload and an admin will try to import the file for them into www.portfoliocommunities.com. This is presently limited to 50M. Once installed the portfolio can grow in size. There is no cost to the person uploading the file.

In my experience, the interest for this is very low; we only had 2 requests for this in the past 2  years. One of those was a student teacher who was sent to us from a large university and she says continuing her eportfolio got her her first teaching job.

15 May 2012, 4:40

Hello everyone on this discussion,

I usually recommend foliofor.me and mahara.at for hosting Leap2a files, when students are leaving institutions. PeeblePad also offers the ability to import Leap2a, but this portfolio system is not free.

-dajan

15 May 2012, 4:41

... and PebblePad is not Mahara. ;-)

17 results