Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Editing institution pages

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 May 2012, 0:46

Hello

I have started to experiment with setting up institutions for groups at our school and wondered if it is possible to edit pages such as the site description page on an institution basis - it seems not. 

Also, when I have become an admin in an institution which has a different theme, how do I return to the original site theme - may I select the appropriate one?

I had planned to set up an institution with self-registration which includes users such as myself which also enter via SSO from Moodle (which uses ldap authentication) as well as users who are not Moodle members.  

To clarify: teachers and students enter via Moodle and may be present in a second institution (if invited) and parents may self-register for the second institution but not have access to Moodle.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Richard

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 May 2012, 15:29

Hello Richard,

You are correct: Site pages can only be edited on a site admin level and they go for all institutions.

If you wish to show different content on the dashboard, you could do that as part of the template file in which the dashboard boxes are.

When you are an admin of an institution, you automatically take on that theme. If you are admin in multiple institutions, one theme is chosen for you more or less arbitrarily. You cannot select which theme you'd like to use. That would be a great functionality though.

An institution can have multiple authentication methods. Please beware that you can only connect one Mahara institution to one Moodle. You cannot have multiple institutions trying to connect to the same Moodle.

Self-registration defaults to the internal authentication method whereas when students and teachers log in via Moodle, they are automatically put into that authentication method. Self-registered users to not automatically have access to Moodle as you - I assume - set up the authentication so that users go from Moodle to Mahara and furthermore, since their login doesn't exist in Moodle, they'd not be able to use Moodle anyway.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 May 2012, 22:40

Hi Kristina

Thanks, I think I have my head around the authentication options now.  Yes, we wouldn't want self-registered Mahara users accessing Moodle.  I see also that members of both can select which one they want to go to from within Mahara (via groups), so that's good too.

You mentioned a "template file" to change the dashboard content - is this part of the theme or is this sitewide again?  I see on the "edit site pages" option there are no boxes at all so I assume there is another option somewhere.

Just a note for developers (I wasn't able to locate a reference to this bug) - on Internet Explorer 9, when you select drop-down menus instead of tabs, then the drop-down menus go sideways (looks horrible and defeats the purpose).

Unfortunately many members of my organisation do not have a choice of browser although the vertical drop-downs fit in better with the rest of our site.

Thanks

Richard

3 results