Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Help with Gerrit

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 May 2012, 5:56

Hi,
I tried to push a branch I've created to Mahara review, but nothing much seems to have happened. I was trying to push to (create) a destination ref with the same name as my branch.
Should I be pushing to the master branch on Mahara review instead? Thought I should check before doing anything rash as haven't used a Gerrit system before.

Thanks,

Mike

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

08 May 2012, 8:32

Hi Mike,

Yes you have to push changes to either master or any stable branch (if you fix the issue in stable branch). If you want to push a group of patches related to the same feature, you may use tags to destinguish them from other's changes.

The wiki docs should contain all info you need: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Contributing_Code Let us know If something is still unclear :)

Account deleted

08 May 2012, 11:44

Thanks Ruslan.

I got there in the end, after rebasing all my commits and signing them off. Tongue out

I did some image resizing on upload for a plugin recently, so I made an attempt at implementing it system-wide for automatic resizing of excessively large images.

Hopefully the reviewers will have some ideas on how to improve it.

Best wishes,

Mike

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 May 2012, 14:31

Hello Mike,

Did you push your rebases again to Gerrit? Most of your branches were rejected by Jenkins. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the reason.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

08 May 2012, 17:15

Hi Mike,

Great, thanks for the patches.  You can see the jenkins errors by following the link in the Mahara Bot comment, and looking at console output, but it's easier to just run "make minaccept" locally - you should get exactly the same output.

Also, when you've fixed those up and you're ready to resubmit, could you rebase & submit them to the master branch instead of 1.5_STABLE?  New features should always go on master; since about version 1.3 we've only been putting important bug fixes on the stable branches.

R.

Account deleted

09 May 2012, 3:15

OK, looks like mostly a problem with tabs used instead of spaces.

Richard, what would be the best way to remove the submitted patches, if I'm going to resubmit them to the master?

Thanks,

Mike

Account deleted

09 May 2012, 5:15

Grr, I got whitespace errors this time, though the files passed the local 'make minaccept' test.

I will wait for advice on updating / deleting faulty commits before adding more clutter.

Mike

Account deleted

09 May 2012, 16:50

Sorry Mike, I put you wrong, I guess minaccept doesn't do exactly what jenkins does :(

You can just abandon the ones you pushed to 1.5_STABLE - they'll still be there, but they'll disappear from the front page.

It's fine to fix the whitespace, etc., in those three commits with errors and resubmit back to gerrit master, it shouldn't add any more clutter.

There are a few ways to fix the faulty commits.  You can always use "git commit --amend" for the top one.  You can also create a new branch off master and "git cherry-pick" your old commits across onto that, one by one, fixing them as you go.  Or you can temporarily commit the three fixes on top of your branch, one for each faulty commit, and then use "git rebase -i origin/master" to squash the temporary fix commits into the faulty commits they should have been part of.

No matter how you do it, the nice thing is that your commit messages will still have the same Change-Id: as the old ones did; gerrit will notice that, so they'll appear as "Patch set 2" under the old change.

Account deleted

10 May 2012, 7:50

Thanks Richard, useful tips.

Account deleted

14 May 2012, 15:01

If anyone can see what the problem is with commit ID I602869fa please give me a shout. I can't get it past Jenkins.

Thanks,

Mike

12 results