Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
SSO into Mahara from a custom application? (not Moodle or Mahara)

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 April 2012, 10:42

I have an existing application with a large userbase, and I want to basically add a link that my users can click to be taken to Mahara and logged in automatically. An account would be automatically created for them the first time (based on their profile from the existing application).

I took a look at the Mahara codebase and it seems that the Moodle integration is sort of scattered everywhere without a generic institution adapter, so implementing my own institution app type doesn't really seem like a feasible option.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this? The existing application is written in Ruby/Rails (not that it should matter). It's not critical that user profiles stay synced between the two apps after the initial Mahara account is created, but it would be nice to have.

TL;DR: Site A is a custom application, site B is a Mahara install. Want to use A as an authentication source for B and allow SSO from A to B.

EDIT: I should add that site A and B are not on the same domain.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 April 2012, 22:30

Hello Daniel,

The connection between MNet and Moodle is bespoke to these 2 applications as it is Moodle Networking. You could use SSO. Mahara supports SAML. If you have an IdP, you can seemlessly log in to either application (and others if you connect those as well).

In Mahara 1.5 you can also install the web services plugin and build the connector to your own application.

Cheers

Kristina

A post by Account deleted was deleted

3 results