Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Embedding in Mahara

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 April 2012, 17:57

I have been read several past posts about embedding in Mahara and followed everything using the HTML tool in the textbox widget but the intended embedded Slideshare or Scribd never appears. What does it a link to the original location...

Any suggestions? It's seems so simple and yet...

Account deleted

23 April 2012, 19:03

Hi Jeff,

What version of mahara are you using?

Slideshare wasn't supported until version 1.5.0. We've never had support for scribd as far as I know.

Sometimes the providers of embedded media change how things happen. I've just tested on 1.5.0 and the default Slideshare embed code worked.

If it is 1.5.0 you are using, can you give examples of the Slideshare that didn't work?

You could also open a wishlist bug for Scribd support on our bugtracker: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+filebug

Thanks,
Melissa

Account deleted

23 April 2012, 22:39

Thanks, Melissa. I appreciate the quick feedback. I think that I need to install Embedly or another plug-in...or I'll have to ask our site administrator.

Many thanks!

23 April 2012, 19:27

Hello Jeff,

Embedding slideshare presentation is only possible from Mahara 1.5 and on. You use the External Media block.

BUT, you can add a plugin called Extresource which works on 1.4 and 1.5. With this plugin you can embed a lot of different things such as Slideshare presentation.

Another plugin is possible to be used. It is called Embedly.

You can download these and find the relevant documentation from the wiki (https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins)

dajan

Account deleted

23 April 2012, 22:41

Hi Dagan:

Appreciate the quick feedback. We'll look at Extresource and Embedly.

Thanks for your help with this! We're just starting our eportfolio program and another colleague have been very impressed with the power of the platform.

Best,

JY

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 April 2012, 22:55

Hello Jeff,

If you are just starting out with your installation, maybe you could use Mahara 1.5? There are tons of cool new features (see the release notes and also the user manual for explanations on a lot of them under the term "New in Mahara 1.5"). Furthermore, it's much easier to embed iFrames and you'll be ready for when an admin interface will be available in Mahara 1.6 instead of having to migrate from a plugin. Laurent is looking into submitting his code for core Mahara 1.6 as well.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

25 April 2012, 11:12

Thanks, Kristina.

If 1.5 will resolve the embedding situation, then we're going for it! I've passed the link onto our IT/site administrator. Hoping to have that done later on today.

Again, thanks for the support!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

26 April 2012, 3:19

Hello Jeff,

Your IT admin might want to look at the SafeIFrame feature in particular for the iFrame embed stuff. Many plain <object> or <embed> work straight away in a text box. It's just the iFrames that need special treatment.

Cheers and good luck Smile

Kristina

Account deleted

26 April 2012, 12:22

Thanks, again Kristina!

9 results