Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Roaming from Mahara to Moodle 2

Paul Taylor's profile picture

19 September 2012, 14:34

Hi all:

Looking at the various posts here, reading the on-line manual,and playing with a test site, am I right that you can't roam to a Moodle site from Mahara and enrol in courses?  I have tried every conceivable setting.  The SSO works fine, but when I click on any courses, I get the message that I can't enrol.  Also, if I log on locally as an admin on Moodle, I can't see any of the users from Mahara, even though I was logged on as them seconds before, though I can see them as mnet users.  What am I a missing?

Paul

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 September 2012, 14:36

Hello Paul,

Moving from Mahara to Moodle only makes a user an authenticated user, but there is nothing in Mahara that would let Moodle know into which courses a user needs to be enrolled.

Mahara users would be MNet users as the protocol that is used for logging Mahara users in on Moodle is MNet.

Cheers

Kristina

22 September 2012, 4:39

Thanks Kristina.  The documentation says something along the lines, "to allow users to enrol on Moodle courses from Mahara", so maybe that needs changing.  I was experimenting where users come only form Mahara to Moodle, but it appears they need to be added as users on Moodle in order to do any courses.  I thought they could be enrolled through Mahara alone.  I have a mechanism on the Moodle side to enrol based on custom profile fields, but as only Mnet users, you can't adjust their profile at all it seems.  More investigation needed. 

Paul

02 October 2012, 23:17

Hello Paul,

Can you please point me to the documentation you mention?

Cheers

Kristina

11 October 2012, 3:30

Hi Kristina:

Sorry for the delay but I was roaming elsewhere.  As this was some time ago I did not have a record of where I was getting this from at the time (in hindsight, if that makes sense).  However, I think I was over-determining the information I had.  In the Mahoodle guide it shows in the last section how to SSO from Mahara to Moodle and shows that Moodle auto creates the users.  I jumped past that and made the false assumption that users could then use courses, but all it does is add them as users, they still need some way to be enroled in courses.  I think that is correct?

Paul

22 October 2012, 2:35

Hello Paul,

Yes, that is correct. Users would still have to enrol / be enrolled into courses. Mahara does not do that for them automatically because Mahara does not have that kind of information.

The web services plugin https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices for connecting Moodle to Mahara can do something along the lines of putting LMS users into groups on Mahara (but not the other way around). I don't know enough about this to say whether it would be possible to enrol Mahara users based on x into Moodle courses. I know that the web services plugin has been used to enrol Moodle users from a course into a specific Mahara group. That might have still required some customization to the current plugin though.

Cheers

Kristina

26 results