Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Difference between share page with public and with logged-in users

Emilie Lenel's profile picture

22 February 2012, 7:35

Hello

I have a question regarding the share page feature: I don't catch the difference between share page with public and share page with logged-in users

According to the mahara documentation:

Public: anybody online can see your selection of pages / collections.
Logged-in users: all users who have an account on the Mahara instance you are using can view your selection of pages / collections.

I guess "public" stands for users with no-account ??  But I don't see how users with no-account can access those pages.  I noticed that a page shared with public is accessible by users with no-account but only if they have the url, so what is the difference between a page shared with public and a page with secret url ?  Is the shared page with public indexed by Google robot ?

Thanks

Emilie

22 February 2012, 9:53

Not exactly

Public : anybody who knows the URL to the page. And public means also that search engines can search and reference the page

Logged-in users: yes you are right with your definition. And also in this case, search engines cannot access the page

-dajan

22 February 2012, 10:49

Thanks a lot for your explanations, it's much clearer now

Emilie Lenel

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 February 2012, 2:04

Hello Emilie,

Thank you for pointing this inclarity out. I amended the manual.

Cheers

Kristina

28 March 2012, 9:18

Hi Kristina

I come back on this subject

Since public means that search engines can search and reference the page.  I turned off this option from the admin view (i don't want that robots index our mahara pages).

But since i turned off this option, i noticed that all the secret url generated are invalid.

So i have to turn on again the allow public page option... My question is: how to allow secret url and disallow search engines to reference pages.. ?

Thanks for your support,

Cheers

Emilie

28 March 2012, 17:29

Hello Emily,

Only shared public pages can be found an stored by search engine robots.

And secret URL pages are not discovered by search engine robots, unless someone publishes the URL on a blog or another web page.

-dajan

A post by Account deleted was deleted

7 results