Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
Mahara & iPads

Allison Miller's profile picture

08 February 2012, 18:02

We've had people using iPads to access Mahara and they have had trouble being able to:

• upload files
  • creating pages

Is this a 'flash' issue or is there something else that they can do?

Thanks, Allison

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 February 2012, 19:41

Hello Allison,

Uploading files is not possible as far as I know, and if I remember correctly it is because the iPad doesn't offer a file structure. But iPad users, please correct me if I am wrong.

Creating a page should be possible though.

Which version of Mahara are you using?

Cheers

Kristina

09 February 2012, 3:09

We are using v1.4.

In terms of the page, the user could 'create a page' but then couldn't add anything to the page even though there were radio buttons and 'move to here' prompts showing on the screen.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this issue with iPads.

09 February 2012, 5:09

Hello Allison,

Could the user not click on the block's radio button and then on the "move here" field? That's how it works when Javascript is turned off as drag & drop is not possible on a tablet.

Cheers

Kristina

09 February 2012, 6:28

Hi Kristina,

It is not a problem with javascript I think, because you can activate it from the iPad's browser setting. It seems it is related with AJAX command that refreshes the screen when the Add here button is clicked.

Although I agree with Allison that edition pages on Mahara with an iPad is not working, I remember it did work a few month ago. Is it due to a change in the iOS or something on Mahara, I don't know but this is an issue, and I will add a bug entry in the Bug tracker. Mobile learning and teaching with ePortfolio is growing and I guess that Mahara has to be totally functional on tablets.

Furthermore, despite it is true we can't import file from an iPad, because, as said Kristina, there is no user files or folders access with iOS 5;  we could nevertheless imagine a way to import file.

For example, in Moodle 2, it is also not possible to import directly a file from the iPad though, we can, through the file picker and the plugins access to repositories outside the iPad, such as DropBox or Boxnet.

Maybe we are having here something to reflect on it to improve file import into Mahara in a future version, but unfortunately not in 1.5 which is due to be released a bit later this semester.

-dajan

09 February 2012, 6:45

I have created two bug reports/feature requests

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/929497

and

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/929499

-dajan

09 February 2012, 12:18

Hi dajan,

Thank you for following up. I haven't tested it with a recent version of iOS as I don't have an iPad. But I also remember that it used to work also on Mahara master which we are running on MyPortfolio. There we had tested it in October.

It would be good to have a list of things that are problematic on the iPad AND under Android as they are different.

Cheers

Kristina

14 February 2012, 1:57

Thanks for following up with this query, Allison

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 March 2012, 20:39

Hi Allison

We are using Mahara with iPads.  It does present some issues but we are able to create pages anyway.  Images and videos must be uploaded via computer unfortunately, but once there can be selected.

I did a quick help sheet on basic html for my Year 8 users, which is here, also in the files area in pdf and word formats.

Cheers

Richard

13 March 2012, 6:29

Many thanks Richard

I will share this information with our project people.

30 results