Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Should email always work for password reset?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 January 2012, 12:57

Hello,

Today I received a message from a user who could not reset his password because his email address was disabled. This begs for the question whether that should be the case or whether the password reset should be an exception and allow emails to be sent so that users don't have to contact an admin to re-enable their email / reset their password.

Cheers

Kristina

François Marier's profile picture

08 January 2012, 22:10

This sounds like a reasonable thing to me, at least until we have BrowserID support working in core.

Cheers,

Francois

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

08 January 2012, 23:27

Who disabled the email? The mahara admin? I think its great if the reset always works on email accounts that the user choose in the first place.

That BrowserID looks pretty cool.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 January 2012, 15:35

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/689045 - it looks like this was fixed before 1.4, but maybe it's broken again.

15 January 2012, 0:29

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link to the bug. The user who had contacted me was on mahara.org which runs on 1.3. I just tried to have my password reset with email disabled on master and have not yet received an email (about 10 minutes later). So it might not work anymore.

It would be great if somebody else could try as well.

Cheers

Kristina

15 January 2012, 16:24

Update: the emails from master.dev eventually made it into my email box. Thus, it should work that emails about password reminders are sent despite disabled email.

6 results