Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara-localhost

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 December 2011, 11:37

So, i know this is a stupid question but i am a real noob so i 'll ask! I don't get why i had to install mahara (on my localhost server). I did it but i fail to see the difference between that and mahara.org. It seems to me that i have an account here that gives me the privillages of mahara (my views, my blog, my files etc) and i can edit my profile, upload a resume.............

What advantages are given by setting up my own mahara site? What are the differences between that account and my mahara.org account? Is my site connected with mahara? Also, why is there no "my views" feature in my site?

Thank you for your time...

Mary Cooch's profile picture

13 December 2011, 12:57

Hi thereLaughing No questions are stupid! First of all - if you make an account here and make views I don't think they last forever, unlike on your own set up. You won't have "views" because in the latest version they are called "pages" but they work the same way (mostly) Also - on Mahara.org you can't see things as total admin would, i the way you could on your own set up. "Localhost" normally means just on your server and not necessarily online - if it's not online then you can play with it to your heart's content but not connect to other people. If yours IS up on the internet - then that's fine- carry on with itLaughing

Account deleted

13 December 2011, 13:53

Thank you very much for your answer...

How do mahara users usually share their portfolio with others? I can't do it because of the localhost thing? 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 December 2011, 22:18

Hello Nick,

In addition to what Mary wrote, mahara.org is not a site for keeping portfolios (please see the terms of service). Mahara as software can do that, but mahara.org is the community site for discussing and learning about Mahara. However, we cannot support users who use it for portfolios. Therefore, the space is also limited to 5 MB. There are services around that you can use for free to host your portfolio or you can install Mahara on your own server.

Installing it on localhost will only allow you to access your portfolio, but as you discovered correctly, not allow others to interact with you. Mahara is a web application and most of its features need a live server to actually be beneficial.

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

16 December 2011, 7:15

Hi Nick,

I run a free Mahara service here: www.portfoliocommunities.com . There are others too...www.foliospaces.com, www.foliofor.me and www.professionalportfolio.net come to mind. There may be more. That's where users create, keep and share their portfolios. Some of the sites above also offer paid services and they have become quite good at what they are doing ;)

Cheers,

Dirk

Account deleted

16 December 2011, 8:32

thank you all for your responses

A post by Account deleted was deleted

7 results