Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Tagging blocks

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 November 2011, 9:33

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum...We are using Mahara 1.3 with all of our high school freshmen this year.  We are emphasizing tagging as an efficient way to access artifacts that address different standards.  Many students have most or all of their work in Google Docs.  While we can use the plug-in for Google Docs, or just link from a text box, the issue we're having is that Google Docs files can't be tagged the same way as those files that they've uploaded. This applies to other blocks as well. I'm aware that an entire view (page) can be tagged, but we were thinking more along the line of first adding artifacts to the portfolio, then searching tags by standard, then creating views.

Does anyone have a suggestion/work-around for this?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 November 2011, 16:14

Hello Charles,

Tags are only implemented for internal Mahara artefacts and pages but not for external content like Google docs, YouTube videos, RSS feeds. These cannot be accessed individually like files or journal entries, but only in the context of the page where they are in.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 November 2011, 18:48

Thanks for your reply, Kristina.

Here's the approach we're going to try- students will reflect on both their uploaded files and linked Google docs, videos, etc within individual blog posts.  Since the posts can be tagged, this will give them the ability to search for all "files" with a particular tag.

Hopefully, a student can then click Critical Thinking, for example, in his/her tag cloud and find all files tagged as such.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

01 December 2011, 13:15

Hello Charles,

That sounds like a good work around. For internal files you can attach them directly to the journal post (but you can tag those anyway), and for Google docs, you could put the journal post into the page and embed the Google doc right next to it so that you have them side by side.

Cheers

Kristina

A post by Account deleted was deleted

5 results