Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Default quota/Maximum quota

Wullie's profile picture

04 August 2011, 10:09

Hi,

The Default quota description is as follows

'You can set the amount of disk space that new users will have as their quota here'

and the Maximum quota description is

'You can set the maximum quota that an administrator can give to a user.'

Can someone please explain the difference to me? I know that you can also check the box re: sitewide maximum quota, but what does this mean without that box checked and with the box checked?

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 August 2011, 10:36

Hi Wullie,

I wrote this for bugĀ https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/628736

In an installation we were running, there were 120 institutions and each had control of their own users. We wanted to be able to prevent the institution administrators from giving any one user more space than was reasonable to prevent issues for other users on the service.

So basically the difference is there to allow you to delegate control to institution administrators whilst still maintaining some sensible maximums even for them.

Does that answer the question?

Cheers,

Andrew

Wullie's profile picture

05 August 2011, 3:01

Andrew,

Yes and no.

In our case (and I'd guess to begin with most people's cases), I only have the one insitution.

Is the Maximum quota and default the same in that case?

I suppose the answer I'm really after is 'Is the default quota for an individual user and the maximum for the institution as a whole'?

Thanks

Edit: Actually Andrew, after having re-read your bug request (I read it yesterday afternoon) it makes more sense now. Basically, this is saying Institution Admins cannot set the default quota to more than the maximum quota.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 August 2011, 3:12

Hi Wullie,

Yes - that's right. The Default Quota is the default quota that a new user is given. The maximum quota is the maximum quota that an administrator may give. Obviously, I failed at making the help-file description clear enough ;)

Andrew

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

12 August 2011, 20:44

Hello,

And to add onto that: In Mahara 1.5 it will be possible for the site admin to set a default quota for each institution separately (though that's not really important to you, Wullie).

Cheers

Kristina

5 results