Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Wrong Mahara Home

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 June 2011, 11:05

Hi I've followed the mahoodle wiki, and things seem to be 'almost' working.

When I click the mahara link under network servers block in moodle, I get redirected to mahara, but it lands me on the logged out home.

I've afterwards logged into mahara using a pre-existing admin account and saw that my moodle test account is supposedly logged in as well (under logged in users it shows the moodle user). I can see this moodle user account's wall, etc, in mahara but every time I try to get mahara access with the account through moodle it sends me to the mahara logged out home instead of logged in home.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks a bunch, this is driving me batty.

Malcolm

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 June 2011, 22:27

Hello Malcolm,

Mhh. I haven't encountered that problem yet. Did you follow the updated Mahoodle Guide? I haven't had issues with Mahoodle as Iñaki covers all bases.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

18 June 2011, 23:41

yup, followed every step. The user details are transferring but the site is not registering the login properly to put the user coming in from moodle onto the mahara logged in home.

Another logged in user in Mahara will see that the new user from moodle has logged in (according to the list of logged in users). But the user himself is be stuck at the Mahara logged-out home.

19 June 2011, 4:03

Hello Malcolm,

Which versions of Mahara and Moodle are you using?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

19 June 2011, 23:58

Hi Kristina,

I've only recently installed both moodle and mahara so I thought it was newest versions for each. The mahara lib/version.php file I have says 1.3.6 though. The moodle's version.php shows 2.0.2

I have them both on the same server.

Thanks!

Malcolm

Account deleted

24 June 2011, 18:47

Hi, this is still a wonder to me. But here's some more information I've found through trial and error:

1. In Mahara, if the institution has only XMLRC authentication, or has others but XMLRC is given no parent, then the problem occurs exactly as I've described (user data transfers to Mahara from Moodle, but user cannot get passed 'logged out user home' and is never asked to change password)

2. However, If I put Internal auth as a parent to XMLRC on the institution, then I get a go around, by the following odd set of events occuring:

• I click the Mahara link under network servers in Moodle, and get brought to the logged out user home in Mahara
    • I do nothing in Mahara, and I go back to Moodle, and click the Mahara link again from the network servers block.
    • This time, I get transferred to the 'change password' page in Mahara and it says on the side (in Mahara) that I am coming in from Moodle.
    • After submitting the changed password in Mahara, I get transferred once again to the logged out home. But this time, since internal is the auth parent, I can log in with the password that was just set.
    • No matter which way I order the auths in the institution, the new user from Moodle defaults to Internal Auth. I can log in as admin in Mahara and change the user's auth method. Then with the auth method changed to XMLRC, the user (once logged into Mahara) can jump back and forth between Moodle and Mahara. However, the user still needs to initially log in to Mahara, Moodle still won't send the user straight in.

So, in conclusion, I have a weird go around that my students can manage to use, with me having to go into each user account and change the auth method) - but this really does seem like it should be an easy fix. When porting over through XMLRC, Mahara just seems to be setting some value incorrectly which is sending the user to the wrong page.

Of course, maybe it is still something to do with my setup. I have moodle and mahara on the same server, and I know nothing about OpenSSL.

Hopefully this detailed description will help someone see what the problem is.

Thanks

Malcolm

Account deleted

25 June 2011, 6:54

Also, the wantsurl doesn't seem to be getting set, it just shows wantsurl= with nothing after the '=' in the redirect. And if there's a place in moodle to set it for the jump, I don't see where.

26 June 2011, 0:13

Hello Malcolm,

I filed a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/802096

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

27 June 2011, 2:50

Thanks for the bug report. Maybe it was a bug afterall, but only for 1.3.6, because I finally decided to just scrap the 1.3.6 altogether and installed 1.4 as a fresh copy. Now it works perfectly switching between moodle and mahara.

I just have to re-install a few plugins, and the math things, and I'll be back in business :-) It's a good thing I don't plan to use Mahara until September with students, it's giving me time to figure myself out!

Thanks again,

Malcolm

9 results