Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
MaharaDroid 1.7

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 June 2011, 5:56

Hello,

Alan McNatty released MaharaDroid 1.7 yesterday in anticipation of the Mahara 1.4 stable release in a few days. With this version you can store your artefacts on your phone and upload them at a later time. You can also delete individual artefacts and view them.

MaharaDroid works natively with Mahara 1.4. A site administrator only needs to allow mobile uploads and you are ready to go.

I made a new demo video.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

16 June 2011, 9:06

Hi Kristina,

I tried my first pic upload from my phone to Mahara 1.4 just now through MaharaDroid, which unfortunately failed.

I can only guess that this is around my preferences (I even remembered to allow the upload on my Mahara site eventually) and most likely the token part, as this is something I don't really understand.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

17 June 2011, 19:46

Hello Wullie,

Thanks for testing MaharaDroid. In the MaharaDroid settings you need to set a token, e.g. Mahara. That same token needs to go into your personal settings on Mahara under "Mobile upload token". You can choose an easy token for the first upload as it is automatically generated thereafter.

MaharaDroid uses a token instead of your Mahara password to establish a connection. In the future, MaharaDroid will run with login and password, but that may still take a while. Until then you authenticate on MaharaDroid with your Mahara username and the token.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

21 June 2011, 5:49

Thanks Kristina,

I guessed that there would be somewhere in my profile to set the other end of the token, but wasn't sure where.

I have now set that and am still having the same issue, although I did find out yesterday that our site is not set to external access yet (was being set as an Internal trial for the last few months) and is being worked on over the next few days. Once that's setup I'll let you know how my uploading goes and if I still get the same issue .

Thanks

21 June 2011, 15:32

Hello Wullie,

If your site is only accessibly internally, e.g. behind a firewall and / or a proxy, that may very well be the issue.

Hope you can test again soon.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

22 June 2011, 3:12

Kristina,

Our site has now been opened up externally and my picture uploads no problem, so both the token and the access seemed to be the problem.

All working now, so all good.

23 June 2011, 5:38

Good to read, Wullie. Happy taking photos, videos, recording audio etc. and sharing it with MaharaDroid to your Mahara.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 June 2011, 9:05

A note on this: if you are testing and don't want to open your site up to Internet traffic or don't have lan WiFi  access for your mobile/site. Check out the Android teethering options (WiFi or USB). Your phone and your PC/laptop can then be on the same network, etc.

Sigi's profile picture

27 October 2011, 12:39

Hi Kristina, 

your support here has no price!!!!!!! Whenever people new to Mahara are sceptical about the missing support of an open source software I show them the Mahara forums!!!

I just watched your video on the install of MaharaDroid - after having tried before without it ;-) - and it still did not work ... no file was transmitted ... I read the next forum entry and found the solution immediately: my personal settings also needed the token.... so easy... and I do not understand much about this technical stuff. Thanks a lot!

What I would like to know is if you can set up the upload for different MAHARA installs ( I must be on about 10 by now ... ) or do I have to type in the URL every time I want to upload to a different site- I guess so...

Well, I suppose I can live with this minor problem, I am probably not the normal type of Mahara user with about 10 sites ;-)

kind regards and hi from Germany to NZ

Sigi

29 October 2011, 0:52

Hello Sigi,

Thank you for your kind words and that the videos and forums are helpful.

Unfortunately, you can only connect to one specific Mahara instance. You could add a wishlist item for MaharaDroid on its page at http://code.google.com/p/maharadroid/

BTW: There is now also a Japanese translation available. Smile And if you find mistakes in my German one, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Greetings from Wellington spring

Kristina

80 results