Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
RSS feeds query

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 June 2011, 4:51

Hi All,

I've just joined the mahara community and taking my first steps in developing e-portfolios for my students in undergard sport programmes.

When  creating a link to an RSS feed in one of my views it automatically opens in the same window. Is there a possibilty for it to automatiocally open in a new window?

Thanks, Andy

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 June 2011, 5:40

I think this is quite straightforward fix? Surely, it would just be amending the RSS blocktype?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 June 2011, 22:53

Hello Andy,

I would not make it the default setting, but give the choice as some usability experts see it as bad form to open links in a new window, e.g. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html Having the choice like on any regular link may be a better option.

I filed a wishlist item at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/792670

Cheers

Kristina

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

09 June 2011, 7:13

A follow up question on RSS feeds...

Is it possible to make 'secret' RSS feeds, as there are in Moodle 2.0 and similar to the existing 'secret URLs' in Mahara?

This would enable RSS feeds to accessed without having to make Pages/Feeds public. This would be a very simple but powerful mechanism for tsharing information whilst retaining access controls and (reasonable) security.

I recollect I have seen mention of this somewhere in the forums, wiki, wishlist, bugtracker, roadmap etc. So, apologies if this is already 'in hand'.

Cheers

Geoff

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 June 2011, 20:11

Hello Geoff,

I don't remember anybody already working on that. Do you want to give it a try?

Cheers

Kristina

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

12 June 2011, 14:27

Looks related to bug/feature request 740326 Allow use of authenticated RSS in External Feed block.

Will also try to do some head-scratching on this...

6 results