Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Course group view submissions

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

26 May 2011, 20:49

Sorry if this has been covered already. With view submission to a course group, it seems students can submit a single view from a collection and have all views in that collection viewable, until they start playing with the edit access features and change access setting on views. I've experimented and tried removing conditions from views but it seems once access has been edited even if a view in a collection is resubmitted, all views in the collection must be submitted individually to be viewable. Is this expected behaviour? Are there any plans to add a collection submission feature, please? This would make life a lot easier. Of course integration for Moodle 2.0 assignments and gradebook would be the best solution. Thank you, Fiona
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 May 2011, 16:44

Hello Fiona,

I had a look at collections and submissions in Mahara 1.4 on master.dev.mahara.org. I get the same behavior as you that when one page of a collection is submitted to the group, the entire collection is displayed. This behavior is due to the fact that once a page is put in a collection, the entire collection takes on the same access rights. Apparently, that also translated down to page submissions (I had not given any other access to that page / collection).

What I could not do is edit the access of a single page. I could only edit the access for an entire collection.

However, I also saw, like you, that only one page is marked as submitted to a group instead of the entie collection. That is misleading because you think a teacher would only see this one page whereas in reality everything in a portfolio is shown and a teacher may assume that then the entire portfolio is submitted and locked, which is not the case.

Submitting of entire collections would be a good feature and is already on the wishlist.

Nobody has yet ported the assignment submitting module to Moodle 2.0 to my knowledge. If somebody funded the upgrade, it would get bumped up on the wishlist. Wink

Cheers

Kristina

03 June 2011, 23:22

Hello Fiona,

Can you please read Hugh's comment from May 31, 2011, at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/789358 ? Which option do you think would be better? I would lean to the option to only show the submitted page and not the entire collection as that is the evidence that is being assessed.

Thanks

Kristina

A post by Account deleted was deleted

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

04 June 2011, 13:26

Hmm, assessing a page that belongs to a collection without looking at the entire collection is problematic for me. After all is is part of a collection and what is in the page is defined by the collection itself. 

Perhaps for most flexibility, when submitting a page a user could have  the option to click somthing like 'allow view access to all pages in this collection'? 

I can see people wanting to see collections in their entirety even though students can edit pages that are contained in it.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 June 2011, 17:35

yes I agree that collections should been seen in their entirety,especially where assessment is concerned as a piece of evidence may be contained somewhere else in the collection. this is especially the case with courses that are interrelated.

04 June 2011, 19:13

Hello Dirk,

"Perhaps for most flexibility, when submitting a page a user could have  the option to click somthing like 'allow view access to all pages in this collection'?"

As far as I can see that is already the case.

I am all for having the bigger picture / the context visible, but I think in the case of submitting a view it needs to be clear to the person giving feedback that the other pages can still be edited so that they don't think that the entire portfolio has been submitted for assessment.

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

04 June 2011, 21:22

Hi Kristina,

yes, I agree a message or some sort of visual cue to the marker about the editability of other collection pages after one page is submitted is a good idea.
Once the 'copy collection' feature is in place a 'submit collection' feature as described in the wishlist link above would be excellent to have.

Cheers,

Dirk 

8 results