Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Embedded Media Block

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 February 2010, 10:37

Dear all,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/520739

Thanks for Evan working out on that, and should be fixed by 1.3.0.  However, by the mean time, is there any "patches" I can apply on my server?  Cos' a lot of students are submitting flv now for the mid-term, and complain they can't see their FLV.

* By the way, how come it only happens on some browser + OS combination, but not EVERY browser?  Any client side quick fix as well?

Regards,

Wilson.

Account deleted

22 February 2010, 17:47

Wilson,

There are a number of recent fixes that we'd like to push out to the community as soon as possible, and this is one of them. Unfortunately there aren't any patches available, but in the mean time you might suggest that your students use an OS/browser combination that is known to work for uploading flv files.

To answer your second question, it has to do with the way files are uploaded to a server via the browser. When you upload a file, your browser tries to figure out what kind of file it is, and assigns it something called a "mimetype". Some browsers are better at this than others, hence the inconsistency. We solved the problem in Mahara by trying to determine the correct mimetype again on the server side when a file is uploaded, but only if the browser wasn't sure in the first place!

Hope that helps/

Cheers,

Evan 

Account deleted

23 February 2010, 13:00

Thanks Evan!  Too bad we have to wait for the 1.3... actally, I'm tired to fix one by one on the front end (we have 400+ students) of their uploaded flv, yes, many of them.  So I execute this SQL statement in MySQL couple times every hour.  It seems okay by now... at least, I tested with some students' accounts and seems okay...

UPDATE artefact_file_files SET filetype = 'video/x-flv' WHERE oldextension = 'flv' AND filetype = 'application/octet-stream';

Please really let me know if this will corroupt the database structure... Thanks!

Regards,

Wilson.

Account deleted

23 February 2010, 17:46

Yes, that should work. We're going to squeeze this fix into 1.2.4 - so you might not have to wait as long as you think!
Account deleted

23 February 2010, 23:23

Thanks Evan!!   That will be great!
Paul Nijbakker's profile picture

06 May 2014, 2:58

Hi all,

We have version 1.8.1 installed and we still (or again?) have this problem that uploaded .flv files do not show up when you try to add them with the embedded media block (and yes FLV is allowed in the block settings). I tried it with both Firefox and Chrome.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,Paul.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 June 2014, 21:31

Hello Paul,

Looking at the previous response and suggestion it sounds like your browser doesn't properly recorgnize the FLV file as such. We've have endless issues with PDFs as they are a typical offender (see http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.9/blocks/files.html#pdf for how to fix the problem there). So it seems that some sites also set some strange file types for FLV making them unreadable when applications such as Mahara try to read the proper extension.

Cheers

Kristina

37 results