Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Add blog post button on edit view screen

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 May 2011, 11:08

I want to write a small hack to allow a view owners to quickly add a blog post to a view they've created. I think the edit view screen (within a blog block) will probably be the best place for this button.

This will be my first customisation for Mahara (except for theme changes). If some-one can point me in the right direction to get started I'd really appreciated it :)

Here's a mock-up of what I'd like to create:

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 May 2011, 15:19

Hello Mike,

Unfortuantely, I cannot see your mock-up. Can you please upload it again? It just took a while to load.

Now that I've seen your mockup: What is the advantage of using the extra button to the "Blog Post" icon that is in the tab above?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

04 May 2011, 4:43

Hi Kristina,

I received a request from one of our EFL lecturers. The students are struggling to get used to having to come out of a view they're working on to add a new blog post.

I'm looking to create a dynamic link which would take a student directly to the specific blog (in a new window) that's been added to a view and allow them to add a new post to it.

It's really a usability improvement to make it easier for our students to get their heads round how things fit together.

Mike

04 May 2011, 5:55

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the explanation. Now I get it. Smile You want to be able to create a new blog post / link to creating a new blog post from within a page.

I hope one of the developers can stir you into the right direction.

Cheers

Kristina

03 June 2011, 19:56

Hello Mike,

Did you already get a bit further? I created a wishlist item on our tracker at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/792645 so that it doesn't get lost. Maybe somebody is able to provide you with a bit more information.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

07 June 2011, 8:39

Hi Kristina,

thanks very much for setting up a wishlist item for this. Really appreciate it.

I'm going to the Mahara UK 2011 event later in June and I'm going to ask about this at the developers half day. Hopefully this clear things up for me and I'll be able to write this button add-in.

I'll keep you posted via this thread.

Cheers,

Mike

10 June 2011, 21:04

Hello Mike,

Asking at the developer workshop sounds like a great idea because experienced developers will be there. I hope you can get all the pointers you need. As you are going to attend the workshop, you'll also learn how to submit your work to Gerrit and how the review system works. Smile

Have fun at MaharaUK. I'll participate virtually for my presentation.

Cheers

Kristina

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

11 June 2011, 17:24

Hi Mike

Something like this will be useful for our staff and students too. Not sure whether it would be best on the Page/View edit screen or on the Page/View itself. Perhaps both.

I also hope to be at the Mahara UK 2011 developer session. So, if it is not sorted in the meantime, perhaps we can have a go at coding it then.

Cheers

Geoff

Account deleted

07 June 2011, 10:17

This is a great idea. Would love to see it developed.

Maybe with some funding it could be fastracked?

9 results