Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Install process just shows blank page

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 April 2011, 15:35

Hi there,

I have an odd situation. When I tried the install process, the browser is just blank ... no errors, nothing.

I've tried it on another machine and it's the same. ...just a blank page.

any ideas? I've love to evaluate this software.

Thank you.

Jerry

Account deleted

06 April 2011, 15:54

FYI ... php is working fine as I was able to create a simple php page with printinfo();

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 April 2011, 16:39

Hello Jerry,

Which version of Mahara do you want to install? 1.3.5 stable?

If you want to evaluate the software, you could also go to demo.mahara.org. The only things you would not see from the frontend is the site administrator area.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

06 April 2011, 16:59

the latest stable branch ... 1.3.5 ....

I've done php installs before so this one is a stumper

steve P's profile picture

06 April 2011, 19:28

Jerry, what server are you installing it on? You could try disabling the .htaccess file (rename it) to see if that makes any difference. Sometimes it can cause an internal server error depending on how the server is configured.

Account deleted

06 April 2011, 22:14

Centos 5.5

there is no .htaccess file ...

in fact, all I did was to start the install and it can't even do that ... http://localhost/mahara

Just a blank page ... no errors, nothing ... =(

steve P's profile picture

06 April 2011, 23:43

Have you checked your apache error logs? There should be a .htaccess - are you using a control panel or terminal to view and edit files?

08 April 2011, 10:55

It has also happened to me serveral times. It was always because of one of this two errors: a problem in the config.php file or a problem with the rights and ownership of the folders/files.

1) Delete or rename your config.php file and leave config-dist.php. Try the installation process. You should get an error examplaining you need a config.php file. This mean your config.php file had an error in the path to wwwroot or to maharadata.

2) If you get a blank page, check ownsership and permission of the folder that contains your mahara installation files. I usually do a chmod -R 777 pathtomaharafolder and chown -R www-data:www-data pathtomaharafolder

HTH

-dajan

Account deleted

08 April 2011, 14:00

Hi Dajan

I think I have also tried your first suggestion. Let's say I leave it it as config.php, I will eventually would need a config.php file anyway

also, the ownership i have set as apache.apache and all the folders are 777 ,..

Account deleted

08 April 2011, 14:29

solved it!

the upload file has to be outside of the root directory and i thought by putting it in home it would work but ot really =(

so I just created a /srv/maharauploaddir to it, chmod it to 777 and chown it to apache.apache

thanks everyone

10 results