Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
embedded video problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 March 2011, 12:35

Hi,

I am using Mahara 1.3.3 and am having trouble with AVI files and the embedded video widget.  AVI support is enabled in the plugin, but the "wizard" does not allow me to select an AVI file for display.  All other enabled files work fine.  Any insight out there?

thanks!

Craig Eves's profile picture

31 March 2011, 21:38

Hi Matt

The following table in this discussion shows the different file types, browsers, OS and how they respond with the mahara media player (flow palyer).

AVI and Mac OS 10 don't seem to play together nicely.

http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=2476

Account deleted

01 April 2011, 8:22

Craig - thanks, for the link, it is very useful. Unfortunately, this is not our problem.  We are not able to add an AVI as an embedded media object to any view.  AVI is enabled in the plugins.  All other media formats work.  We can add AVI videos as files to download.  The problem occurs regardless of browser and OS. Any thoughts?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 April 2011, 15:13

Hello Matt,

Flowplayer, the media player that is used in Mahara, only supports .flv and mp4 (H.264), but not avi. That's why your avi file can't be embedded.

Cheers

Kristina

François Marier's profile picture

03 April 2011, 16:43

While you are correct that flowplayer only supports .flv and .mp4, there is code in Mahara to make use of the Windows Media Player plugin in the case of AVI files.

However, it's not as well tested and used as flowplayer and it does depend on these browser plugins being properly setup on the client side.

Cheers,

Francois

04 April 2011, 12:38

Hello François,

On the flowplayer 3.2 tech informations it claims to play AVI as well as the other video formats. Are we talking about the same flowplayer? Will you update flowplayer in future release of Mahara to play AVI.

Thanks for any information on this.

Cheers,

-dajan

François Marier's profile picture

04 April 2011, 17:33

Their documentation page is a bit confusing, but what they are talking about there is "flowplayer setup" which seems to be a video hosting and streaming service that will host your videos and transcode them to flv or mp4 so that they can be played with flowplayer.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

23 February 2012, 18:51

Hi Kristina

I have this file: https://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=189331 - however it will not play in the embed video block and it says it is the "wrong type: for this block.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

Account deleted

23 February 2012, 19:49

Hmm

Fixed - I didn't know that in Mahara 1.4 you need to go to administration, plugins, embed files and then select the type of media files that may be embedded - but now I do!

Working fine.

Cheers

Richard

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 February 2012, 18:46

Hello Richard,

Great that it works. :-) Per default, only the video formats that can be played in FlowPlayer, the media player that comes with Mahara are allowed. That prevents users having issues if they do not have a bespoke player for some Windows or Mac formats. However, if you know your users and they all have the necessary players, you can turn on the other file types as well.

Cheers

Kristina

14 results