Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Joomla to Mahara Migration

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 March 2011, 23:45

We are about to migrate from a Joomla to Mahara e portfolio. How difficult is it to migrate the data and what are the pitfalls. Is there any formal guide/protocol to follow or is it straightforward.?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 March 2011, 0:52

Hello Walter,

Welcome to the Mahara community. Smile

The process of migrating from Joomla to Mahara can be facilitated if the export format is Leap2A. Though I don't know if Joomla can export into that XML format. If not, you could either look into how the export can be achieved (what types of artefacts?), e.g. plugin development or you may have to do it manually. Without more information it is difficult to say if the process could be automated.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 March 2011, 0:01

Thanks Kristina for your reply. The artefacts consist of docs, jpegs, and pdfs mostly. User profile information needs to go across as well. From what you indicate, I think it may have to be a section by section manual job

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 March 2011, 3:09

Hello Walter,

I am afraid that it does sound like an entirely manual job. Leap2A zip files, which are basically an XML with the artefacts, is the only import format that Mahara can read.

When you download your files from Joomla, check if you can do so as a zip file because you can upload zip files to Mahara and have them extracted there. That may speed up the process of getting the files into Mahara instead of having to upload every single file individually.

If your files come from the computer and they are already organized in folders, leave them in the folders as they are created when you unzip a file on Mahara that contains a folder structure.

You just need to make sure that the zip files are not larger than the maximum allowed upload size for a file.

I hope that will help you to get the files across more easily.

Cheers

Kristina

09 March 2011, 2:29

Hello Walter

And welcome to Mahara.

Which eportfolio did you used with Joomla? There are zilions.

-dajan

5 results