Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Mahara 1.3.3 -.> Moodle 2.0.2 SSO

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

07 March 2011, 4:47

Hi folks

I have MNet SSO (XMLRPC) working for users first logging into Mahara 1.3.3 then linking to Moodle.

However, I can't get profile fields or the user photo from Mahara to automatically transfer to Moodle.

Have previously got this working 'going the other way' with older versions Moodle 1.9.x  -> Mahara 1.2.x

Not sure if I have overlooked something or  if there are Moodle 2.0 or Mahara 1.3 bugs to report.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else got this working?

Regards

Geoff

08 March 2011, 7:33

A quick follow-up.

Suspect this is related to MDL-25367 User Images are not processed during MNet SSO.

From the comments by David Mudrak, this seems to have been fixed for Moodle 2.0 -> Mahara 1.3 but not yet for Mahara 1.3 -> Moodle 2.0.

Any idea when this is likely to be sorted?

I'm increasingly liking the model where users access their personal space (Mahara) first, then access institutional resources such as Moodle. So, whilst not a complete showstopper, it is a shame the profile image transfer in this direction appears broken.

Thanks

Geoff

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 March 2011, 20:01

Hello Geoff,

I'm not sure if the feature ever existed to use the Mahara profile pic in the Moodle profile. If it does and is supposed to work that would be great because as you write, Mahara is the personal space. Students may keep that longer and them being able to upload 5 profile pics, they can change them more easily and quickly.

Cheers

Kristina

24 March 2011, 4:24

Kristina

Thanks for the clarification. Seems I over-interpreted current capabilities from Chapter 4 of the Mahoodle documentation.

For the moment, have reverted to the more mature Moodle -> Mahara SSO though still think there is some real potential in going the other way. For example, have Moodle logins (from Mahara) redirected to My Moodle, so that Mahara effectively replaces the Moodle front page.

Geoff

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

25 March 2011, 20:14

Hello Geoff,

Interesting that you mention to replace the Moodle frontpage with Mahara. So far, we only heard of people wanting to integrate Mahara into Moodle and make it accessible from the LMS. It shows that those put the emphasis on the teacher / courses whereas you put the student and his environment in the center and make the portfolio more important that can then link out to the LMS.

At  Catalyst we had also discussed how to integrate Moodle and Mahara more closely. One idea was to replace the Moodle profile page with the Mahara dashboard / profile as that is more elaborate. So far though only discussions and ideas. Wink

Cheers

Kristina

Don Presant's profile picture

26 March 2011, 5:42

In Career Portfolio Manitoba (careerportfolio.mb.ca), we also lead with Mahara and use Moodle as background support, on the advice of TDM, our supplier.

We have a course delivered as a series of group views and Moodle is used only for surveys, quizzes, glossary (not dynamically linked, though), and the certificate at the end.

We did it this way because the course is about developing a lifelong portfolio and we wanted to keep people in that environment as they were learning.

For our adult learners, we can also keep things looking simpler easier using Mahara.

6 results