Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Possible Firefox/Text Box Bug?

Scott Gage's profile picture

03 March 2011, 23:30

Hi All,

We're currently trialling Mahara at my workplace and have come across a possible Firefox bug.

We're running:

• Mahara 1.3.3
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5
  • PHP 5.3.5
  • And aside from adding our own theme and making a change to the stylesheets, haven't customised the code at all.

The bug, if it is one, only occurs in Firefox (haven't tested other versions, but it's come up in 3.6). In a View with multiple text boxes, if a user edits one text box it's fine, but if they then edit another text box immediately afterwards they cannot edit the text in the editor (this sometimes takes 2 or 3 in a row to eventuate).

As far as I can see the text boxes have nothing in common aside from being in the same view, as one contains a table, one contains links and a lists, and the other just text and depending on what order we attempt to edit stuff, a different text box will be uneditable each time. Once the bug occurs, you cannot edit text in any text box until you click Done or refresh.

I've tried to replicate the issue in IE but can edit text box after text box without issue.

Any advice/suggestions on this issue?

François Marier's profile picture

06 March 2011, 17:04

When you say "can't edit", do you mean that even if you click in the text box and type some letters, they don't show up at all?

I'm asking because we've had a bug with the HTML editor where the cursor was missing but editing was still working.

Cheers,

Francois

06 March 2011, 17:17

Can't edit at all - you can highlight text but any key strokes are ignored.

EDIT: Actually, I've checked again this morning and found it may not be as serious as I first thought - after editing numerous text areas, as described above, you cannot highlight and delete, cut or copy text. However, if you start typing anywhere in the text box then you can highlight and delete or cut text. So not as serious as it seemed, but could still lead to some FireFox user confusion.

Cheers,

Scott

15 March 2011, 23:10

I've reported this as a bug at the TinyMCE bug tracker in case it's an issue with their editor:

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/develop/bugtracker_view.php?id=4193

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

16 March 2011, 1:06

Hello Scott,

Great. Thank you. Let's hope they get back to you there.

Cheers

Kristina

20 March 2011, 22:37

Unfortunately they've closed the bug report for now since "Sounds like an implementation bug in Mahara. Need more details and an isolated way of reproducing it." Undecided

I'll attack this from the code end and see if I can find a way to reproduce it outside of Mahara.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

25 March 2011, 19:38

Hi Scott,

Frown

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a reliable way to reproduce this error that may help to shed light onto the issue.

Hope you are luckier.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results