Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Right to Left Support

19 May 2011, 23:34

I am translating mahara into bahasa Indonesia (id), and when I changed default language to bahasa Indonesia, the html editor (tinyMCE) displayed well (displayed with full button bar) on IE-8 only. Any other browsers (Mozzilla, Chrome and Opera) don't display the button bar.

Any ideas...? (I am using Mahara 1.4 stable).

Thanks in advance

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 May 2011, 16:45

Hi Sulaiman, can you try downloading tinymce's Bahasa Indonesia language pack (from http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/i18n/index.php?ctrl=lang&act=download&pr_id=1), unzipping it into the htdocs/js/tinymce folder and see if that fixes the problem?

If you're intending to make your translation available to the public, we'll add the tinymce id language pack to core.

Account deleted

17 February 2011, 14:37

In case anyone finds it useful, here's an out of date rtl.css file that was written a while ago for a site running a very old version of Mahara:

http://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=121538

Account deleted

19 February 2011, 16:20

Hello everyone,

After spending the weekend trying to make Mahara RAW theme compatible with the Arabic language, these are some observations I made:

1.       All language files must be saved using UTF8 without BOM otherwise mahara will not be displayed correctly

2.       In order for the main navigation to be rendered correctly in Arabic the {strip}{/strip} must be removed otherwise it will not be displayed correctly

3.       No need to change pieforms because they render things correctly

4.       We translated and integrated the calendar to function correctly, if there is no translation appened to the calendar it will make the page reload without showing the calendar.

5.       It is a must to download the language pack for tinymce otherwise the editor will not be displayed correctly

These are quick observation regarding translation and how to integrate things together to make them function, because I thought it would be a walk in the park (just translate the files and make some changes to the CSS files) which certainly was not but totally worth the efforts.

For the moment I have some problems that arise while we are translating and integrating with RAW theme:

1.       The navigation bar displayed in pieform for the profile section do not display the words correctly (tested on FireFox 3.6.13 and IE8) I tried to trace the source of the problem but I failed

2.       For Portfolios(there is lots of problems around here),

a.       The arrow in the header where it is located and how it called so I can change its orientation to become RTL.

b.      On editing, the control box (delete, move,etc) they are always located to left how can change them (I already checked they are not located in views.css). this also includes the other images with labels

c.       When Views.css is called there is no check to see if the page is RTL or not so you cannot create views-rtl.css which makes a problem since this file is universal for all themes (I think a bug must be filed for this)

d.      On the admin page, the information block and the close site block are not displayed correctly although I changed the CSS file to accommodate RTL this also shifts to extinctions they are displayed as lines instead of blocks

If you want to see what I am talking about please check http://www.learningarabia.com/mahara/htdocs/

Username: admin

Password: mypassword@1234

That is it for now; there are other minor issues that I think I will be able to solve once I have the translation covered. I will keep you posted with any updates I have.  

Please help me with the problems above to solve, hopefully within three days we will be able to have the translation and RAW theme ready (afterwards I will work on default).

Thanks for everyone helped, I really appreciate that.

Best,

Abu Musa

François Marier's profile picture

20 February 2011, 20:50

Thanks for your observations.

I have included your comment about UTF-8 and BOM on this page:

http://wiki.mahara.org/Language_Packs/Language_Pack_Release_Policy

Feel free to add anything else you think would be helpful to other translators.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

26 May 2013, 22:55

Dear Developers,

i have some issue for RTL , see the image below to know the problem, how can i handle this problem.

i am using mahara 1.7 latest version

thank you

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 June 2013, 18:02

Hello Jamal,

Do you mean the English words that show up on your screen? There are quite a few language strings untranslated in 1.7 (and also master). See https://translations.launchpad.net/mahara-lang/1.7/+pots/mahara/ar/+translate?start=0&batch=10&show=untranslated&field.alternative_language=&field.alternative_language-empty-marker=1&old_show=all for the strings not translated in 1.7

You can help translate these strings in Launchpad directly.

Cheers

Kristina

27 results