Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Can you create a Blog template?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 February 2011, 6:51

Hi guys

I basically need my users to be able to edit a template (which is a table) and which we want to make available to them as a View. The template was copied and pasted into a Text Box as a note which was then included into the View.

Since the users are members of our Institution, it was easy enough to make the View automatically available to every users.

This was achieved by setting the View access within the Institution - i.e. Site Administration > Institutions > Edit Institution (this takes you to into the Institution space) > Views > Edit Access (of the view you want to share with each member) > tick 'Allow Copying' > tick 'Copy for new institution members' (this will automatically make a personal copy of this View for all new members).

The problem with this configuration is that when the user needs to edit the template, the editing window is way too small for the purpose (this issue is addressed here http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=2292). Since this problem doesn't seem to be being solved, I need to find alternative ways to achieve the goal... 

It seems to me that a possible solution would be to make the template available via Blog - i.e. copying and pasting the table-template we want the user to edit into a blog post, as opposed to copying it into a Text Box. This would make the editing stage a lot easier for the user.

The problem here is that there's seem to be no way to create a blog template form for new users, or even to share the admin's blog as a View.

What I have done was to create an admin's blog and create a new post in which I have copied and pasted the template; I then created a View where I put the admin's blog post; I copied the View in the Institution profile and then edited the access so that a personal copy of this View will automatically be made for all new members (Copy for new institution members' ). This works fine because each new member actually has a copy of that View, but the View is empty! That is, the admin's blog can't be copied, shared of automatically viewed by new Institution members.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Francesca

Don Presant's profile picture

03 February 2011, 9:27

Hi Francesca:

The edit window size can be made adjustable, by tweaking the TinyMCE code. Ask your admin about this, or perhaps someone online has details.

We're editing tables in Views with this in place as a lower right corner that can be pulled wider and taller

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 February 2011, 18:44

Hello Francesca,

You can copy an entire blog or also just individual blog posts when you set the options of the blog block to "Others will get their own copy of your blog (post). You can find that under "More options" in the blog post and blog block in a view right above the Save button. Smile

Users who then copy the view in which the blog is placed, will get the blog and can edit the blog posts. However, the date shown on these blog posts will be the one when the view was copied. You may also have to make sure that your users have multiple blogs enabled (they can change that in their Settings).

Cheers

Kristina

3 results