Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
mahara/moodle integration with external auth

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 February 2011, 8:48

I found information about mahara/moodle integration using SSO moodle->mahara. Is that integration also usable, if mahara and moodle use the same external auth feature (for example ldap)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

02 February 2011, 12:00

Hello Uwe,

Yes you can set up access to your Mahara via SSO or/and LDAP. When an user has signed in on Moodle through LDAP authentification method, for example, he/she can directly access Mahara via SSO.

Or she/he can go to Mahara and sign-in through LDAP.

In our institution we force users to log-in on Moodle to go to Mahara if/whenever they want to. We have decided there was no direct Mahara sign-in allowed.

Account deleted

03 February 2011, 3:36

Hello Dominique-Alain,

thanks for your answer. I have one additional question: If there is a mahara/moodle integration, one can submit a mahara View as a result into moodle and get their results viewable in mahara. Is that also working in case they use (the same) external auth?

Thanks,

Uwe Böttcher

03 February 2011, 4:41

Uwe,

Have a look here: http://wiki.mahara.org/index.php?title=System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Moodle%2F%2FMahara_Integration/View_Submission you will find what you are looking for.

Nota: with Moodle 2.x this facility is embeded into Moodle. So it will be more easy to share/evaluate work on Mahara into Moodle.

Account deleted

03 February 2011, 6:22

Thanks, I did see that document. I just did not understand, if that functionality would be available even in case the auth is not done by moodle.

03 February 2011, 14:14

This works fine. No problem. The way you signin has no influence on Moodle or Mahara features

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 February 2011, 18:46

Hello Dajan,

How can I submit a view in Moodle 2 with the built-in functionality? I only know of the Repository API to share files with Moodle and the Portfolio API to copy certain Moodle content to Mahara. If the view submission were integrated, I'd love to know how that works.

Cheers

Kristina

04 February 2011, 2:00

Reading the lines from you seem telling me that is not possible. You know better than me what we can/can't do. I then spent some time  to (re)read docs on moodle.org and mahara.org.

So tell me if I am wrong, but I think that the upcomming Mahara repository plugin for Moodle (due in Moodle 2.1) may let you pick artefacts or view in Mahara from Moodle ? And then lets Mahara users to submit a view to assessment ?

If not, someone will have to rewrite the code of the actual moodle-mahara-assessement plugin mentioned before in this forum.

Cheer,

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

07 February 2011, 1:20

Hello dajan,

I checked the Moodle documentation on the Repository API again (hadn't done so in a long time) http://docs.moodle.org/en/Repository_API It is true that it talks about assignment submission. However, I think we should not confuse it with the view submission of Mahara which we also see as assignment. I don't yet have the API working, but from what I read the API supports only repositories in the sense of file repository: Every assignment must be a file that you can upload. Thus, if you made a PDF file out of a view you could submit it and make it available via Moodle. But not a view itself as far as I can see.

This is also supported by http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=2738 where Michael asks about the view submission plugin for Moodle 2 besides the Repository API.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

07 February 2011, 2:52

So it is still true that I have to add a module to moodle to support portfolio submission? Doesn't really matter to me, just means one more step to finish moddle/mahara integration. Or is the plugin out of date?

13 results