Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
which Linux OS to use?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 February 2009, 3:19

Hi,

I currently run Moodle on a Windows 2003 server and would like to install Mahara. I have no Linux experience and was hoping somebody could advise me. Should I use Suse, Ubuntu, debian, etc

I plan to use MYSQL as I have experience there.

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

14 February 2009, 4:56

Hi John,

the core developers here work with debian. I myself use an ubuntu pc an managed to install Mahara local with a little support Wink (thanks)

greetings from the blackforest and feel free to ask if you find any problems.

Heinz

Julian Ridden's profile picture

15 February 2009, 18:44

I am running on SUSE with no issues to report
Account deleted

15 February 2009, 17:13

Either Debian or Ubuntu are recommended - we develop Mahara using them, so we know it works there Wink

From Mahara 1.1, you might even be able to get away with using your Windows server, although us core developers can't help you with it when run there as we have no Windows experience ourselves.

Account deleted

16 February 2009, 14:05

Hi,

Thanks for the replies people!

I think I am going to learn how to install Suse and try Mahara on that platform. Our core network is based on Novell Netware and in the near furture will be installing certain services on Suse. This should give me some experience ahead of time!

Cheers,

John

Account deleted

19 February 2009, 10:42

We run Ubuntu on the desktop and centos on all servers. Everything runs fine and i must say that the line betwene distro's seams to be thiner by the minute. Of course dedian base distro and redhat base distro have diffrences but nothing to be afraid of.
6 results