Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Mahara & Turnitin

Sam Taylor's profile picture

30 September 2010, 3:35

Hi all,

Here at Solent Uni we will be using Turnitin for all text assignment submissions. Some of our academics are keen for students to compile a reflective learning journal and portfolio of evidence using Mahara.

Unfortunately Turnitin will not accept zipped files of 'my collection' exports (boo - that is a bummer!). I know that there is an option to upload HTML files - but that wouldn't work either as there would be too many if they are part of a 'collection'.

Is there anyone out there also using Mahara and Turnitin? Would you be able to share your experiences? I know that Turnitin is a 'text matching' software, and Mahara exports would fit in with my uni's 'not applicable' (along with music files, photos/media files etc), but I just want to see if anyone else has come up with a 'work-around'?

If not then I'll be recommending that students use the 'upload single file' option in Moodle.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Sam

Craig Eves's profile picture

04 October 2010, 22:57

Hi Sam

From memory Turnitin does accept  zip files - the zip files that the LEAP2A export produces are xml files so the html files are probably going to produce a better result. (from the documentation html files are supported in Turnitin)

I don't think turnitin would prevent multiple html from reading -  if it can open the zip file the html should be part of this.

If this doesn't work then an option could be to use the Moodle turnitin plugin and the mahara assignment submission in  Moodle (part of Moodel 2.0 but also possible in 1.9)

regards

Craig

2 results