Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Problems with Blogs in 1.3 - a bug?

Mike Korn's profile picture

20 September 2010, 23:19

Hi All,

Since I have upgraded to 1.3 I have noticed something strange when my students add blog posts. Often, when they upload a file (usually images) the upload icon will simply spin and the file will never get there not matter how small the file is. The problem is usually solved by refreshing the page and trying again. 

This also often happens when simply adding a text blog post. When students hit save - the "processing..." icon pops up and it never saves. Again, refreshing the page will solve this. 

It is almost as if it has to be entered twice for it to save. Really annoying because I have to have students copy their posts and paste them in a text editor, hit refresh, paste and then save again almost every time.

Anybody else out there having this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

21 September 2010, 1:22

Beginning to think the problem may only be an issue in Safari and Chrome. Seems OK in Firefox. Perhaps 1.3 has issues with other browsers?

Mike

21 September 2010, 1:29

Sorry folks - no, the problem is there in Firefox too. It happen with long blog posts where users are editing for a while. When you try to upload a file, it wil spin and spin. The file does actually upload, but it doesn't go to the show up until you refresh the page and then go back in to edit the post.

Any else out there with the same issue?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 September 2010, 2:45

Hi Mike,

It would be really handy to know what version of 1.3 you're running, what database server and version, and what OS your web server runs (Windows or Linux for example).

I've not come across this when using Mahara 1.3.1 under Linux with a Postgres database server so any more information could help fill in the blanks.

Additionally, do you have access to your web server's error log (e.g. /var/log/apache2/error.log). It may be that some errors are logged to this.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 September 2010, 2:55

Hi Andrew,

Could this be related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/623648 ?

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 September 2010, 5:19

It could be if file uploads are involved, but otherwise I'd doubt it. I'll ask Ruslan for his opinion on this.

Andrew

29 September 2010, 3:05

Hi All,

Any progress on a bug fix?

22 September 2010, 0:29

Thanks for your replies. Here is the additional info:

1) We have 2 servers (1 in Thailand, 1 in Germany) both experiencing the same problem

2) Both are running Ubuntu Server 64 Bit

3) Germany server is using Mahara 1.3.1 using Postgres, Thailand server is using Mahara 1.3.0 using MySQL

Here is the error log from the Thai server:

PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0[Sun Sep 19 08:02:37 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operationssh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found[Tue Sep 21 07:52:42 2010] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restartapache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerNamePHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0[Tue Sep 21 07:52:42 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.5 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations[Tue Sep 21 08:12:27 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting downPHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0[Tue Sep 21 08:13:15 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.5 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations[Wed Sep 22 07:47:05 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting downPHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0[Wed Sep 22 07:47:18 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.5 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

29 September 2010, 5:28

Hi Mike,

As Kristina said, it looks like it is related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/623648, but it also may be related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/634193. Though in both of hese bugs file should not be uploaded at all. Are you sure that the files are actually getting uploaded if you refresh the page? To narrow the problem, can you please test:

• Whether the problem pops up in IE?
  • Note the last record in apache error.log. Then in firefox, once you replicated the problem using usual interface, please disable javascript (Options->Content tab), refresh the page and try to upload the same file. Do you see any new errors in apache error log?

Can you also make sure that uploading file size does not exceed the quota? Though I have fixed the bug with similar behaviour (https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/633760), who knows.

06 October 2010, 3:40

Hi Ruslan, 

No, the file does not upload every time. As far as IE - we don't use it here. Strictly Mac and Ubuntu. No outstanding errors in the log either. The quotas have have all been upgraded to 2GB and mac upload size to 250 MB. As I said, this was all fine before the upgrade. We changed nothing on our end.

Thansk again,

m

10 results