Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Spell cheeker

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 September 2010, 20:13

Don't you see why a spell checker would be helpful?

Has anyone worked out a solution for integrating a spell checker within the WSIWG editor? 

Now running 1.3.0, fast and running smoothly --Thanks.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 September 2010, 23:10

Hello Tim,

The WYSIWYG editor TinyMCE that we are using has a spellchecker plugin. More info at http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Plugins/spellchecker

Though I can't tell you whether you'd have to install it or whether it could come packaged with Mahara.

Cheers

Kristina

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 September 2010, 23:12

There is actually already a feature request for that: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/598425

Just add yourself as "affected" or add a comment so that it's not just one person requesting it.

Account deleted

15 September 2010, 3:09

Not the solution you're after I know, but both Firefox and Google Chrome have built-in spell-checker support. This may be a useful stop-gap until something appears in Mahara itself.

Andrew

Account deleted

15 September 2010, 9:18

Thanks, all of these comments are helpful. 

Account deleted

19 September 2010, 23:33

You can enable the tinymce spellchecker by adding 'spellchecker' to the list of tinymce plugins (lib/web.php around line 123), and adding 'spellchecker' into the lists of configured buttons in one of the lines following. For example, just replace this:

plugins: "table,emotions,iespell,inlinepopups,paste",
   theme_advanced_buttons1 : "{$adv_buttons[1]}",

with this:

plugins: "table,emotions,spellchecker,inlinepopups,paste",
   theme_advanced_buttons1 : "{$adv_buttons[1]},spellchecker",
Yaju Mahida's profile picture

16 December 2010, 21:25

This would enable spell checker icon in TinyMCE editor but will come up with error message as shown in the following screenshot.

I have checked both Mahara 1.2.x, Mahara 1.3.x series code and also tinymce_3_3_9_2.zip and found that PHP Spellchecker plugin (Spellchecker plugin for TinyMCE with a PHP backend) codes are required to be there.

One have to download PHP spellchecker package and overwrite the existing spellchecker plugin with the one from the package. After replacing these code, one have to configure config.php under spellchecker to select right engine and other configurations.

I have tested configuration of the plugin to use engines PSpellShell (/usr/bin/aspell) and PSpell (PHP built in module) which works fine.

I have done this for testing and now the problem is resolved.

Please, provide me feedback about this.

7 results