Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Download of files works differently for individual files and folders

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

28 July 2010, 18:49

Hello,

Last night I had the opportunity to participate in Floyd Saner's session on "ePortfolios: Desired Functionality and Integration" at the Midwest MoodleMoot (http://www.goshen.edu/moodle/schedule.html). I could talk about the new features of Mahara 1.3 and answer questions from Mahara users.

An issue that bugged a number of people was the cumbersome file download. They always had to go through at least two clicks to get to a file in a learner's view instead of being able to click on the file immediately and have it offered for download.

The issue is a bit more complicated as in some cases you do get to the download immediately as Richard reminded me today, but in others not.

When you create a "File(s) to Download" block, you can click on the file name and the file will be downloaded or displayed depending on your browser settings. When you click on "Details", you are taken to the page with all details about the file and the possibility to comment directly on the file.

When you use a folder block to get a shorter list of files, and click on one of those files, you always get to the details page. I think it would be good to have the distinction between immediate download and details page like for the other download.

Something you may also want to remeber:

When you are on the profile page of a student and want to look at their portfolio stuff, you can go about that in two ways.

a) Click on the view title: you see all artefacts in context

b) Click on the small links next to Artefacts: you are taken to the details page of the artefact and can't download the artefact immediately. That makes sense to me because you do not always see if that is a file or a blog post. Furthermore, Mahara allows that feedback can be given not only on a view but also on an individual artefact.

I hope that sorts the file download issue out a bit.

Cheers

Kristina

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture
2 results