Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 July 2010, 6:03

Feedback

I would like to share my personal comments and feedback on new Mahara 1.3.

After few days of playing around I noticed few changes which I tried to show on my brainstorming image:)

Don’t like themes, they look poor. will be possibility to change them- CSS

HOMEPAGE:

I really like an idea of home page where we can see latest activities and also edit what we want on home page such as adding recent posts, recent activity. In my opinion it will be much more easier to follow our friends (better collaboration if I have 50 friends-save a lot of time) and also for tutors to save time checking each students account. The bad thing about home page is that users can switch on/off information about Mahara ( still good to remind what is the aim of Mahara!!).

PROFILE:

I like that old preferred name for display name, display name is more understanding meaning when changing. Preferred name didn’t tell our students that their tutors will see them as for example King James or any other nicknames.

Good idea for cut down tabs under profile (moved them somewhere else).

I think the idea to organize my Resume into categorise make it more clear and giving quicker idea what can be there. It has more sense with small categorise.

MY PORTFOLIO:

Great idea that Profile Page has been moved to Views as in past our student were very confused with differences between My Views and Profile Page.  It is good that there are explanation for DashBoard and Profile View, as it gives an idea what it is.

I think that DashBoard is helpful to have better collaboration between all users (students, tutors, etc.). It saves a lot of time to see all latest activities on my friends pages, friends Views, groups, tutors pages, etc. I think it is nicer for tutors to follow large number of students (different then emails).

During editing access to View there 2 new option: moderate comments and allow comments. Not sure if it is good for student to enable moderating comments (what if View is as assessment?!). However it is good for tutors, if they want to create View with information for students and they do not want any feedback there.  

My Blogs: For few our students it might be confusing that if they want to have multiple blogs firstly they need to change settings. Might not work good with our students.

GROUPS:

I think there are a lot of changes here and feel like groups are becoming to be friendlier for members. I think editing HomePage inside group is great news for tutors as they decide what will be there and then they might want to add additional information for their members.

New option that we can change subject for our post reply gives students to add new main keys for discussion. As the students might create new important points for discussion and want to make them visible, or just name their post.

SETTINGS:

It is not easy to find where are settings (we have some users who are not literate in computers). Finally after clicking everything I found settings. Email enabled/disabled option is good as we have homepage and we can just log into Mahara. Don’t need to have emails notifications.

I don’t like an idea: hide name as sometimes tutors want to find students by their real names.

Change username. Can this be disabled?! Not good that students will change their students ID for nicknames…

François Marier's profile picture

20 July 2010, 20:04

Hi Agata,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Mahara 1.3, it's really useful to know the areas that people like and the changes they think are misguided.

I just want to point out that I've made a change to the blog screen and added a note on the main blog page about how to enable multiple blogs (it's no longer just in the settings page).

Also, I think that what you are describing in being able to highlight certain posts in forum threads is what we'd like to achieve with this feature request:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/548065

With respect to the settings being hard to find, do you have any suggestions to improve it? Where would you normally expect these to be?

If you are curious to see what we are currently working on with regards to the 1.3 release, the list of 1.3 bugs/features is here:

https://launchpad.net/mahara/+milestone/1.3.0

Also, please feel free to suggest new features on the tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+filebug

if there is something you feel is important but currently missing.

Cheers,

Francois

Craig Eves's profile picture

20 July 2010, 22:45

Hi Francois

In answer to suggestions for making the settings easier to find - the first step is to create a hyperlinked label Settings besides your username.  At the moment just the username is displayed, clicking on your username usually displays your profile view rather than changing user settings.

This could be located underneath the username in the righthand column above My Groups:

It could also be displayed as a Tab called Settings under the Profile menu or both places

If this was the case the line with the username,  messages and logout could be moved to the right hand column under the username (where it was previously). There may have been a good reason for moving this but I can't think of one

cheers

Craig

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 July 2010, 0:42

Hello Agata,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I also could not find the Settings page easily (https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/605743) and liked it better as it is in 1.2.

Richard has extended the feedback functionality quite a bit. I guess, it would be good if we updated the information on it so that everybody would know what is possible and where to make these changes.

As Francois already said, please put bugs and feature requests on the bugtracker (feature requests will get marked as "wishlist).

Cheers

Kristina

4 results