Forums | Mahara Community
01 June 2010, 12:57 AM
I'm in the process of integrating Mahara into Moodle 1.9.7 for our College. I'm following the Mahoodle guide (link below).
I'm running Server 2008 R2 with IIS7 & phpmyadmin 3.2.5
I have run into a bit of a snag, when I'm trying to configure Mahara for basic networking, I end up getting this message ..........
"Could not generate a new SSL key. Are you sure that both openssl and the PHP module for openssl are installed on this machine?"
I know that I have openssl installed.
I've trawled the forums here & also have googled heaps all to no avail.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to this & getting Mahara installed was tricky enough for me.
Cheers in advance.
01 June 2010, 6:24 PM
I've got past this problem, but now I've run into not being able to get Moodle 2 to see the Mahara ssl public key & end up getting this message in Moodle 2 ......
The public key you are holding for this host is different from the public key it is currently publishing. The currently published key is
There is nothing in the box below where the current key is meant to be .... any ideas anyone?
02 June 2010, 12:59 AM
Firstly, this could be a bug in Moodle2. It is still very much in Beta and not everything is working as it should.
Try editing the setting in Moodle2 and pasting in the key from Mahara and then see what it says.
it is working in my Moodle2 which is running the Preview Release 3 code.
02 June 2010, 5:12 PM
Thanks Julian for your reply, as i said I'm fairly new to this field. Can you tell me excatly where I need to go to edit the setting in Moodle 2
02 June 2010, 5:29 PM
openssl under windows needs a bit of extra help.
here's the relevant FAQ on the Moodle side:
and I finally pushed in the fix for Mahara yesterday for this - only into master/1.3dev at this stage, but here's the patch:
02 June 2010, 11:12 PM
03 June 2010, 12:01 AM
heh - just responded to you via e-mail, but I should post here for others using IIS 7
IIS has a custom error page which it forces on it's users - which masks the real error from displaying - good for production sites, but not so good when you have a problem that you are trying to diagnose.
Usually you can obtain a slighly more detailed error by using the browser on the server itself - it recognises you are accessing the site from the server directly and will sometimes give more detailed info. (It really depends on the settings though)
This blog here is quite useful - it details how to bypass the IIS errors and get the normal errors to come through:
hope that helps!