Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Confused about tags and how to search them?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 March 2010, 14:34

Hi,

I noticed that we have a tag.php file but, on the user interface no search box shows that would allow members to search. I am not sure how this file is incorporated in the system. If someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Knowing how this works is important. We're working on creating a global search box that will enable users to search everything on our site from one location. We will use one form that will redirect users to the correct results page.

Below is an example of what I mean.

If  logged in users search for people then they will find the results on  /user/find.php.

If  non-logged in users search for people then they will find the results on /directory/index.php.

If users want to search their portfolio then they would find the results on the appropiate form.

And so fouth for each section. So knowing how this works is crucial and I don't believe we changed the code for this. 

Craig Eves's profile picture

11 March 2010, 21:36

Hi Allen

There should be a Search box below the tag cloud in the righthand column when the myportfolio menu is selected.

If not then make sure the tag cloud is enabled (Site settings) and you have at least v1.2 installed 

This search  currently only searches the users portfolio for artefacts that have been tagged rather than a whole site search.

If you want a more powerful search tool youu could add a free search tool such as atomz or google site search to your site.

regards

Craig

Account deleted

11 March 2010, 23:10

Hi Craig,

The only search box is the search my portfolio and that is for the self search. The tag box has been enabled. However we have added additional sideblocks and I am wondering if this has completely taken the search box for tags out? Months ago I had posted a question about the length of the right column. If it's set to a certain lenght I would need to know how to change the setting.  I couldn't find anything that would allow me to change this in the core files.

For the more powerful search I am creating one for the site. I'll will be changing the internal search that came with the mahara package. I just need to make sure that I have evrything correct first or the coding won't work. Thanks for your help.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 March 2010, 13:14

Hi Allen,

Currently, there is only the individual portfolio search / tag cloud. There may be a group / institution-wide tag search in the future.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about the sidebar length and had not yet encountered that problem.

Kristina

Account deleted

14 March 2010, 16:59

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the info on that. We're not really worried about that we just wanted to make sure that everything works as it's suppose to. We're coming up with a better search engine for the site that will allow that to happen. Also the sidebar length was due to an error in coding which I figured out as well. The error wan't giving me any error logs so, I had to read each line and change a few things. Now everything works like a charm. Thanks for your support.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 March 2010, 13:07

Hi Allen,

Great that you could solve your sidebar problem and are working on your custom search engine. It would be great if you could share your results in the community.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results