Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Tell us about your Mahoodle install

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 April 2010, 21:43

Hi Julian

I've got it up and running with the latest Moodle and Mahara stable releases - it seems to work well.  The instructions at http://www.eportfolios.net.au/images/Mahoodle.pdf are very good.

I see an issue with uploading users via csv - I elected to have users change their password on first logon to Moodle.

After they have made this change and linked over to Mahara they must change their password again - the Mahara seems to have picked up the force password change at next login from the Moodle profile, even after they have completed that process at the Moodle end.

Probably in a production environment we will use LDAP authentication at the Moodle end and therefore disallow password changes at the Mahara end - still need to find out how to do this - anyone else trying this?

If anyone else has had this issue and knows I'm doing something silly, it would be nice to know.

Richard

Account deleted

26 April 2010, 19:07

Aha

Read the document more carefully.  The new password you set in first entry to Mahara allows direct sign on without going through Moodle.

Account deleted

09 June 2010, 8:56

Why Mahoodle and not Moohara?

Anyway ours is not working - large English Secondary school with 1400+ students.  Need to theme it before it goes live.

RedHat server, Moodle 1.9.2 (I think).  Mahara version is 1.2.4.

Students SSO to Moodle via LDAP and straight into Mahara via Moodle.  Works well.  I need to get some work done on themes and views before we go fully live.

Anyone in Yorkshire with a running system in full use I'd love to visit.  ( I can bring jaffa cakes ;-)

Account deleted

10 June 2010, 13:49

I'm in Hull if you fancy a visit. We have Moodle and Mahara set up muchthe same as you. We trailled MAhara with 70 odd Sixth Form students this year, but will use it with our entire SIxth Form next year.

Jon

Account deleted

24 June 2010, 14:55

We have a Mahoodle install setup by our Moodle partner who is also a Mahara partner. We are a secondary school district in California (students age 12-18). We used Mahara as a place for students and groups to build websites in a pilot project. http://cytochromec.net/blog/2010/05/reflections-on-eportfolios/ Will be using Mahara more systemically next year for students to document and reflect on learning. Also perhaps (my dream) using it for teachers to demonstrate professional growth. The SSO is nice because the students just think the Mahara site is just part of Moodle (shhh don't tell them). I have found that the number 1 barrier to new tech adoption is login/passwords. The number 2 barrier is out of sight out of mind. By using Mnet with Mahara we solve both those issues, students and teachers already use Moodle and the link to the "portfolio plugin" is right there on the Moodle page. Of course looking for tighter integration with Moodle features.

One question: how to lock editing the Mahara profile fields so that students don't edit their profile in Mahara only to have it overwritten by Moodle data?

PS. Great to hear Julian is wearing the MaharaMan hat as well.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 June 2010, 16:19

Hi Colin,

Great to read that you will continue to use Mahara and use it more systematically.The reasons you mentioned in your blog post about choosing Mahara resonate with mine when I had to choose an e-portfolio system for a BA program at my previous job.

Regarding your question on locking fields: You can do that in Site admin -> Manage Institutions -> Edit your Mahoodle institution -> expand "Locked Fields" -> tick all the boxes that students should not be able to change.

In Mahara 1.3 students will be able to choose individual themes for individual / group views. You can check out this feature at http://master.dev.mahara.org./ (just register again).

For a discussion on multipage views, you can check out the discussion at http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=1066

Cheers

Kristina

Lino Oliveira's profile picture

19 October 2010, 6:57

Hi Julian "Moodle Man"

I have finished a succesful testing Mahoodle installation in a Windows XP Professional SP3 with Moodle 2.0 RC, Mahara 1.3.2 and XAMPP 1.7.1. For this success, it was very important information found in these foruns, specially concerning configuration of OpenSSL. Thanks a lot.

I am planning now a production installation with Windows Server 2003 or 2008 and another one in a Linux system.

The Mahoodle.pdf documentation is really great although some things are different using Moodle 2.0.

Regards from Portugal

Lino Oliveira

Account deleted

20 October 2010, 16:13

We have Moodle 1.9.4 an Mahara 1.3 working in perfect interaction in American College of Brazilian Studies - AMBRA College. Our Moodle has more than 1 thousand of users, but are begging in Mahara.

We integrate de Moodle to Mahara using the Mahoodle documentation avaliable in this web site and work just perfect.

Now we will star the translation of Mahara to Brazilian Portuguese.

Regards,
Alfredo Americo
http://www.ambracollege.com/

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 October 2010, 18:00

Hello Alfredo,

Thanks for letting us know about your installation.

It would be fantastic if you translated Mahara into Brazilian Portuguese and made the translation available to the community. More info at http://wiki.mahara.org/Language_Packs

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

07 July 2011, 1:21

Hello,

I am using moodle2.0.3 and mahara 1.4.0. It's installation guide suggets SSO should be configured to integrate the moodle and mahara.

is it necessary to configure SSO or we can  do the integration without SSO?