Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Mahara and Alfresco

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 June 2009, 2:29

Hi all,

regarding this discussion I would like to recommend the Document Management System KnowledgeTree (http://www.knowledgetree.com/opensource) cause it's based on same LAMP technology! So integration should be quite easy and roll-out would not imply additional tech. barriers likeTomcat, JBoss ...

BR, PeerĀ 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

28 July 2010, 18:59

Hello,

Has anybody looked more into the issue of having a file repository in Mahara or support for linking Alfresco?

I was asked about Mahara having a file repository at the Midwest MoodleMoot.

Would the experience of integrating it in Moodle help? Or could the files that were put into Moodle through the repository API from Alfresco be used in Mahara?

Thanks in advance

Kristina

30 July 2010, 9:41

I started a group a time when experimenting Mahara and Alfresco. Then Alfresco proved too complex and was not Multisite why I left. I do not know if anyone has continued to follow the trail.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 September 2010, 5:38

Hello,

we are at the moment designing a knowledge platform that has Alfresco as it's main repository. At the moment we have integrations with (hopefully soon available) Moodle 2.0, Drupal, Zimbra and SugarCRM. Mahara is the first on our list to be integrated. As this project will become rather large quite soon, I think funding for at least basic integration (at least file storage integration in some way) will become available between now and let's say 8 months.

When this proves to be successful I see more potential for integration, but that should be discussed at that moment. For now, I am very interested in what the Mahara community considers to be usefull in respect to Alfresco integration.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 November 2010, 23:37

Hello Anthony,

Oh my, your post slipped my attention though it is an important one. Thanks for picking up the topic again and the prospect of developing an integration. That would be fantastic!

What I would like to see from a file repository integration with Mahara is the minimum of being able to browse and integrate files from the external repository in Mahara. In addition, what would be needed is that files that are used in views can be locked down when such views are submitted to a course group. That functionality itself is new in Mahara 1.3 and important for assessment / feedback purposes.

Furthermore, it would be good if a file from the repository could be put into the Mahara files area if necessary. That could become important if you have a national portfolio and the student moves from one institution to another and thus becomes disconnected from his previous repository but would still like to have access to his files.

It would also be good if a student can decide to put a file currently in his regular Mahara file area into his repository with a simple "click" (and the choosing of a folder). That may be interesting for users who use mobile apps that put files directly into Mahara but which the student then ultimately wants to have in their repository.

I guess, what I am saying here is that the repository could show up as a folder (with subfolders) in the My Files area so that students can move files around easily. If the files and folders moved between Mahara's own file storage and the repository could keep their description and tags, I'd be very happy. Smile

Thinking about the export of a portfolio, files that are provided from a repository also need to be exported. Similar, when you copy a view to a group or another user, the file must ultimately be placed in the files area of that group / user.

Were any of these ideas on your development horizon or am I off the mark with my wishes?

I would love to hear how your development is progressing.

Cheers

Kristina

15 results