Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Subviews possible?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 October 2009, 14:29

I have a faculty member who wants students to create subviews within views.  I doubt this is possible, but will welcome any advice on how to accomplish this.  What the person wants is the following:

View: First Year

Subview: Knowledge

Subview: Skills

Subview: Responsibilities

View: Second Year

Subview: Knowledge

Subview: Skills

Subview: Responsibilities

...etc.

Thanks,

Floyd Saner

Account deleted

20 October 2009, 18:10

Hi - currently that's not possible without a bit of working around. However, there is a proposal to add such functionality, you can read about it in this thread.

As for the workarounds: one way is to make many Views and then put a text box in each that has links to each View, as a kind of menu replacement. The other way that some people are doing is to make a Blog and have each post content be a link to a View. 

Account deleted

11 May 2011, 13:57

This is a functionality which would be extremely helpful to me and my student portfolios as we structure our portfolios around outcomes and some outcomes can be subdivided into sub areas or specific competencies.  Some of our faculty have opted for on-line web builder programs instead because they can have this cascading menu type of option.

I'll be watching for progress on this... unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer because this is one feature I'd be happy to develop!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 May 2011, 14:44

Hello Bart,

Yes, that is definitely a feature a lot of users would like to see. It's a very complex one and that may be a reason why nobody has tackled it yet. There has been a long discussion around multipage views. There is even a wiki page.

It be great if you wanted to look into that. In the meantime, your faculty could explore "Collections". These allow you to group views / pages and give them a navigation bar. That feature exists in Mahara 1.3+.

Cheers

Kristina

4 results