Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Plagiarism detection module?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 October 2009, 17:13

Hello Nigel,

Feature request is filed: https://eduforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3401&group_id=176&atid=742

I'll ask Richard in the WR if we can have the copying / not copying option also for the glossary. I'd take how it works currently. Otherwise, the glossary may take much longer to develop.

Kristina

Craig Eves's profile picture

08 November 2009, 17:59

Hi Kristina

Sorry to come late into the discussion.

Plagiarism isn't about not being able to copy material from someone else - Plagiarism is  not acknowledging the original author of the material (in academic circles a citation is required using a particular citation style).

I think copying should still be allowed  as long as students are aware of the need to cite the source. 

Even having the not copy option on a glossary entry the content could still be copied and pasted from the browser.

Maybe a better way to reduce plagiarism is to have a notice come up when copying someone else's blog or view  saying that the source needs to be acknowledged. This is a bit like the copyright notice that comes up when uploading an image. Undecided

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 November 2009, 14:55

Hi Craig,

Of course, you are right that plagiarism is about acknowledging the source. I just shortened it badly. Copying is always possible one way or the other - one way more difficult than the other.

Your notice window sounds like a good idea, but to be honest, I don't think that many students will bother to read it. They don't read the copyright notice for uploading files. I should not generalize here because I can't speak for every student, but a large number of the 430 students I had in my workshops in June, September and October didn't bother. I think a better way is to make them aware of the topic in general and appeal to their academic integrity. That's a lofty goal, but many will listen and the majority does not plagiarize also without telling them not to do so. Smile

Kristina

13 results