Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
How do users see Views published by others?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 September 2009, 3:02

Dear All,

Forgive my ignorance as a new user to Mahara... 

We are using Mahara for student assignments and are starting by getting them to complete their profile and resume and publishing these in a view for access by their teacher/lecturer only.

During testing myself (with site Admin rights), I created a view with my profile & resume in, provided access to a single named user and saved.  When this user logs in, how do they get to see the view I have published for them to access?  Where do they go?  Do I as the publishing user have to do additional work to allow them to see the view I have published once I have added them for access?

Please help me, frustrated and in a big hurry as have to show students later today...

Many thanks,

Luke...

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 September 2009, 3:27

Hi Luke,

I also stumbled across that question when I first used Mahara. Wink If the person to whom you gave access to your view wants to take a look at it, s/he should search for you using the user search in the top right-hand corner of almost every screen. It's enough to search for your first or last name. S/he is then presented with a list of people matching the search criteria. By clicking on your name, s/he goes to your profile page. If you have not changed that (which you didn't seem to have done), s/he will see the view(s) that are accessible to her / him.

Somebody else who does not have access to your views does not see anything under "My views" on your profile page.

Hope that helps and is still in time for your session.

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 September 2009, 7:49

Dear Kristina,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and so promptly too!

I checked out your guidance and unfortunately it did not work for me.  The search facility on our eportfolio is only available from My Portfolio screen and when we typed in the first name and then subsequently the surname, nothing was returned.

Any other guidance would be very welcome.

I managed to dodge what we will see when working with our students today as at this time they only need to know we will be viewing their shared views!

Still somewhat frustrated!

Luke...

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 September 2009, 14:42

Hi Luke,

It was pure luck that I saw your post as I was about to ask a question myself. I receive the daily digest and thus usually see any message in the evening but not during the day unless I roam the forums here. Smile

It is strange that you cannot use the user search. I don't mean the "Search my portfolio" field, but the user search (I have Mahara v. 1.1).

What you can try is the following:

1. The student who should view your portfolio should go to "Groups".
  2. Click on "Find Friends".
  3. Use the search box there. Search only for the first name OR the last name.
  4. The student should get a list of names matching the search term.

If that does not work either, you may want to check that you provided a "preferred name" in your profile. Type in your real name (again). It seems that this field is the one that is primarily used for the search (at least I was informed about that by a couple of students).

If that still does not work, I have no idea where the problem could be. I have no clue if it could be that your server does not allow the search. That's something Nigel and Richard would be able to answer.

Maybe you can make a screencast in which you show us your procedure if you still have problems. Sometimes it is easier to actually watch something to find the solution.

Have a nice evening

Kristina

4 results