Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
RSS problems

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 September 2010, 6:59

Hi Tim,

You may want to consider starting this as a new forum topic rather than posting on a topic last updated nearly a year ago.

I've just successfully added the suggested feed to my Mahara (HEAD) installation and the 1.2.5 release branch.

Do you have any proxy servers, or access restrictions in place perhaps - maybe on your WordPress server? Can you retrieve the feed manually on your server (e.g. wget)

Which field is highlighted when you're asked to check the marked fields?

I doubt that there's anything in the Mahara error log for this error but it may be worth having a look.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 September 2010, 23:02

Hi Tim,

I could also see your RSS feed without problems in http://master.dev.mahara.org

As I also had problems with RSS feeds last year (see above), I did some digging around because we took the discussion off the group into the work request area.

Thus, here are a couple of ideas that might bring us closer to finding a solution:

1. Please check that your database is utf8 encoded.

2. Are you running on MySQL?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

04 September 2010, 13:15

Kristina-
Thanks for the follow up.  I'm also glad to hear everyone seems safe from the earthquake.  Amazing that no one was hurt!

Our installation uses PostgreSQL 8.3.11 -  UTF8

I'm wondering if it is a security certificate issue.  The mahara installation being https and the blogs servers also on (a different) https?

Tim

Account deleted

06 September 2010, 6:14

Hi Tim,

It shouldn't be an SSL issue with Mahara but it may be with your web server. The certificate is signed by Equifax and their root certificate should be installed on your server.

Can you confirm that you've tried using something like wget on the server to retrieve the feed - this should confirm whether the server has the CA root certificates intalled. Under a debian-like OS, you can check that it's installed with a dpkg -l ca-certificates - I'm not sure under other OSes though.

The other thing that I notice is that your connection is compressed (probably mod_deflate). This shouldn't be an issue, but I thought I'd mention it while I noticed it.

Andrew

Account deleted

30 September 2010, 12:53

Hi

I have installed Mahara version 1.1.6 (2009022617)

the RSS feed is static. they don't update...

Any help...

thanks

30 September 2010, 15:10

Hi Vaisleios,

Did you check the above, e.g. that your cron job is set up correctly and that the RSS feed work in general? What database are you using? Is it UTF8?

Cheers

Kristina

François Marier's profile picture

30 September 2010, 16:25

Another thing we should point out is that this version of Mahara is pretty old and no longer supported (i.e. not even security updates), so you might want to upgrade to 1.3.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

30 September 2010, 17:25

Thank you Kristina and Francois, the first thing to do is to update the Mahara to more recent one, and then check if I have the same issue :)

Thanks!

30 September 2010, 19:52

Hi Vasileios,

You should not have the RSS update problems in 1.3 as the code was fixed. If you still encounter problems, it'll most likely be due to the cron job not working correctly.

All the best with the upgrade. Mahara 1.3 is certainly much better than 1.1

Cheers

Kristina

19 results