Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Enable 'Course' group type

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 September 2009, 5:15

Hi all

My workplace have got mahara hooked up to our moodle, great. But we weren't seeing all the group types when you add a group (Controlled Membership and Course). I added my boss as a member of Staff for the insitituion, and she now sees the Controlled Membership option - but not a course one that woud let you do what the Course group type option shows.

Or are we misunderstanding it, and the "Course: Controlled Membership" option lets any student in that group do the submit thing as described below:

"All members of course groups can submit their Views to the group for assessment by tutors. When tutors give feedback on a submitted View, they can also attach a file to the feedback which is only visible to the View's author."

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Account deleted

21 September 2009, 6:56

OK ignore me, I tried submitting a view from a member of a controlled membership group and the group admin was able to place feedback and release it.
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 September 2009, 13:13

Hi David,

It appears to me that you mixed up the two course groups. There are controlled membership and request membership groups. The advantages of the two as far as I have experienced it:

In controlled membership groups, students are added and cannot leave the group. Feedback is the same as everywhere.

In course request membership groups, students must add themselves (I don't know why that is different to the controlled group as it is also a course group), but the tutor has the advantage of attaching a private feedback file even if the "regular" feedback is public. Anybody will see that a file is attached to the feedback, but only the feedback owner can actually open it.

Nice about both groups is that students do not have to give explicit access rights to the group admin in order for him to view the view when they submit their view to these groups. The admin (most likely identical to the tutor) can see the views anyway. That does not work in the other group types - at least for me. Of course, other regular members of this group cannot see the submitted view.

Kristina

Account deleted

22 September 2009, 3:16

Thanks for that Kristina, most helpful!

One thing I can't quite figure out - how to attach the feedback file when releasing a view back to the student. Documentation seems to be a bit sparse, could you or someone else please enlighten me on the drill between student submitting a view and a group tutor/admin releasing the view back to the student?

Thanks, Dave

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 September 2009, 3:38

Hi David,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. On my installation the attaching of a file worked easily:

1. You create a group of the type "Course: Request membership".
  2. Student requests membership in the group.
  3. You accept the student's request.
  4. Student submits his view to the group. 
  5. You give text feedback and can attach a file (only possible in the "Course: Request membership" group though, not the controlled membership group
  6. You release the view (above the feedback section.
  7. Student can continue editing his view and download you feedback. The feedback file is placed in the student's "My Files". Other users, who have access to the student's view can see that you attached a file, but they can't open it.

That's how it works for me.

Have a nice day

Kristina

5 results