Forums | Mahara Community

Comments on feature proposals /
Stats and Reporting

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 June 2009, 3:00

Roadmap item: http://wiki.mahara.org/Roadmap/Stats_and_Reporting

Status: Some is planned for after 1.2. See this view for the details.

If there's anything that strikes you as important on the Stats and Reporting page, feel free to mention that here - we'll try to do things that are causing the biggest pain points for everyone first.

If you're able to contribute funding, expertise or ideas - let us know!

Edits to this post:

• anonymous profile picture Account deleted 30 September 2009, 19:47
Account deleted

09 September 2009, 16:25

Keen to hear some idaes from the community on this - we are scheduling some development in this area and would like to flesh out the specifications.

Account deleted

19 October 2009, 19:23

I attended a session at the VET conference relating to Privacy - very interesting. We should enable the User to see reports on their own Views: #of visits, public vs who visited (if logged in) within a given timeframe. Also whether an Administrator visted their area. Let's discuss.
Account deleted

20 October 2009, 19:08

On sites like facebook or bebo, they give you the option to prevent your visits from showing up. For example, I might not want to let Jane know I was looking at her view.

Typically, it's done like this: You can opt in to see who can see your views, and if you do, your visits will be recorded on other people's views. So only visits by people who have opted in to views of people who have opted in will be recorded.

I think admins should possibly always get to see who saw their views. Not sure if they should see the log of who has seen someone else's views though. And admin visits to views.. should they be recorded or not? 

Craig Eves's profile picture

20 October 2009, 20:21

Hi Nigel 

I think there is a difference between stats which provide non identifiable data and logs which give data where individuals can be indentified (logs)

If it is stats that are required on an institute or group wide basis then possible statistics could be things like

• the number of active users over a certain time frame, percentage of active to non active users over time .
  • exception data  like the view with the highest number of visits, inactive groups,
  • Information - eg file storage of the institute, number of views, number of new users, total number of admins

At an individual level the stats that could provide non identifiable info could include the number of views of each group, number of new friends, total file storage compared to file limit, most and least popular view etc.

This data should be able to be exported into a spreadsheet so further analysis and graphs can be created . To see trends then data for specific time intervals needs to be able specifed.

Hopefully this helps - not forgetting the saying ..

lies, damned lies and statistics Laughing

Account deleted

20 October 2009, 21:25

Hi Craig - have you seen the proposals for stats after 1.2? Linked to from the first post in this thread Wink

They already include most of the information you talk about. Richard is talking about knowing who has seen your views, which isn't anonymous, which is the reason for my post. 

Yuliya Bozhko's profile picture

20 October 2009, 19:19

I think that it's a great idea to give users an opportunity to see some reports on their views as well.  It would be quite useful to know a number of visitors in various timeframes. Also I would add here a number of downloads of files if any included to views. Not sure though if users need to see the names of the visitors or Administrator's visits. Is there any practical use of such information? When users give public access to their views, they are potentially not interested who visited it; such views are just open to public. As for the views with restricted access, users will know who can visit it, so this information is not needed there. Just some thoughts.
Account deleted

10 December 2009, 22:08

Yes, I think either the information about visitors to views should either be aggregated and non-identifying, or else it should be an opt-in thing like the bebo one.  That's obviously something that will take a bit more work to implement.
Account deleted

16 March 2010, 3:49

Hi guys,

are their any news on the Stats and Reporting development?

Have you found the time to start working on it? 

Alex

By the way: Have you set a release date for 1.3 yet?

Account deleted

16 March 2010, 18:26

Hi Alex,

The stats work still has a way to go, but we're over halfway there.  It's all publicly available at http://gitorious.org/mahara/mahara/commits/stats if you want to have a look or try it out.

And no, we haven't set a release date for 1.3 yet.

R.

13 results