Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Right to Left Support

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 February 2011, 16:12

Hello Developers,

I am currently working to create a new theme for Mahara, we speak Arabic which is a RTL language like many other Middle Eastern languages, while I was inheriting from the RAW theme, and I encountered problems regarding the positioning of the buttons. Is there anything specific in the CSS that specifies the buttons locations?

Please advice; also please if anyone have any tips about handling RTL language please let’s cooperate.

All the best,

Mohammad

Account deleted

14 February 2011, 21:25

Hi Mohammed,

There are some annoying classes like 'rbuttons' in some of the css files that give elements an absolute position.

I guess for now you could just override those in your theme (there look to be about 15 or so instances), and change them to read for example "left: 20px;" instead of "right: 20px;".

But we should fix the default themes up so they work with RTL too, so I'll file a bug.  Maybe we can just remove the absolute positioning and change the button style to "float:right;".

Richard.

Account deleted

15 February 2011, 11:02

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the support, I will work on the next two days, hopefully I will be able to publish the modified RAW theme to support RTL. Also I will report the issues I face while I am working on it.

while reading some parts of the code, I noticed that you include a CSS file called RTL.css in case Mahara is running in RTL mode, does this file overrides style.CSS or not?

I have two more questions for you I hope you can help me with:

Non-technical

I will hire soon (within the next week) a professional translator to translate Mahara to Arabic, what are the options to publish this translation on Mahara and be supported on the official package.

Technical,

Please visit

http://learningarabia.com/artefact/internal/

You can login using Admin, mypassword@1234

I managed to change the header and added a java script menu the header seemed to be working very effectively, except for this page,

My question is, does this page have specific issues related to form rendering I should be aware of before inserting the menu?

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Best,

Mohammad

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 February 2011, 14:36

Hello Mohammad,

Fantastic that you will be doing an Arabic translation of Mahara. You can find information for translators on http://wiki.mahara.org/Developer_Area/Language_Packs

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

15 February 2011, 18:11

Hello Kristina,

Thanks for the information, I have mahara already installed with the translator, he will start working on it next week. hopfully it will be ready by the end of the next week or so......

I think Mahara has a huge potential  in the Arabic region, let me just say that I am very excited about it and hopefully soon we will provide some cool plug-ins that will benefit everyone

Best,

Mohammad

Account deleted

20 April 2011, 5:02

Hello Kristina,

The arabic language pack is done now, it is not 100% complete but the core things are ready. we have tested this languge pack with users here and according to their feedback we changed some of our translations.

Please find the language pack in my profile.

Also please provide gudiance on how to make it public for the people, and where to mention the name of the translator since we only funed the translation and the testing of the translation

Best,

Mohammad Abu Musa

Account deleted

20 April 2011, 21:24

Hi Mohammed,

We store the language packs in git repositories on gitorious.org, so if you're familiar with git, you can just make an account on gitorious.org, let us know your username and we'll create the Arabic repository & give you commit access.

Otherwise I'll just commit it for you, I'll need the author's name & email address for the commit author.

Once that's all done, we'll add it to the list of translations on the wiki at http://wiki.mahara.org/Language_Packs

Account deleted

25 April 2011, 15:23

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay, I was very sick last days. please commit the translation because I the upload here is very slow
for the author his Name is Muhammad Aljaber and his email is [email protected]
can you also mention that Qayrwan.com (my company) has sponsered the translation because we paid this translator for the arabic translation

Thanks for your support

Account deleted

25 April 2011, 23:34

Hi Mohammad, there were a few character encoding problems, the details are here:

http://langpacks.mahara.org/ar-1.3_STABLE-errors.txt

Any chance you can get those fixed up?

Sometimes these errors cause more serious bugs in Mahara, so ideally we don't want to link to the language packs until they're cleared up.

Account deleted

26 April 2011, 2:43

Hi Richard,

I fixed the problems, the issue was just saving the text in utf8 without BOM the fixed files are included in
http://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=138635

27 results