Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
templates vs. copied views

Meg Goodine's profile picture

25 August 2009, 15:20

Sorry, I have searched but can't find anywhere that explains how view templates  work. I'm obviuosly missing something. Once a view template has been created, where do others access it from? Is there documentation anywhere that explains this?

Thanks for any advice.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 August 2009, 16:50

Hello Meg,

Don't worry you weren't the only one who was stumped by this. It took me a while and some assistance to work this outWink

I have created templates using the view feature and made them copyable.  This means that when a user selects the 'copy a view' option under the 'views' area, they see the template and are able to copy it.  When they copy the template, a copy appears for them under their list of views which they can then edit and presonalise.

This may appear on documentation somewhere, but I am not very good at looking there anywayEmbarassed  I hope this helps!

Hasmeeta

Craig Eves's profile picture

25 August 2009, 17:29

To give others the ability to copy your template

• Select MyPortfolio >  My Views > Create Template
  • Go through the first two steps of layout and details.
  • In Create View Step three : Access , the box Allow copying should be ticked (default) and you need to select Add to select people who will be allowed to copy the Template.

To copy a template that someone has given you access to

• Select My Portfolio > My Views > Copy a View 
  • Views will be listed Templates will have  (Template) included in the view name
  • Select Copy View
  • This will bring up the View creation step by step wizard  as before to allow you to change the view content and layout.

This is the same process as when you want to give someone the ability to copy a view.

If you are a site administrator you also have the ability to create Views and View templates across an institution

• Site Administration > Configure Site > Site Views
  • allow copying and adding people are required the same as above ( I think there is a problem of easily adding everyone from an institute though - I made a posting to the forum about this.)

Account deleted

10 June 2010, 6:12

When I try to create a view template as an admin I want a simple template with a place to put a file on the left and a notes/comments box next to it:

Upload file to here Type notes here

When I try to create the view template it insists I upload a file.  But I only want to put a "holding box" for students to upload files into.

Does this make sense?  What am I missing here?

PS @Craig Eves - I don't have the option to Create Template in MyPortfolio >  My Views > Create Template

Account deleted

10 June 2010, 16:18

Hi Dave,
It absolutely does make sense and we hope to have this available inVersion 1.3 out later this year.

cheers
Richard

5 results