Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara Host Gator (hostgator.com)

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 August 2009, 14:47

Our institution would like to test this portfolio system. I've read some posts which noted hostgator to be a good hosting provider for the installation and use of this software. Does anyone have any other hosting companies they would like to mention? Also, if I decide to use hostgator, do I call the customer service representative and let them know, or, is mahara an option that I have installed from their "administration/control panel" ?

Any pros/cons of having this on hostgator ?

I think we would eventually like this to be integrated with Blackboard. Anyone do this yet?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 August 2009, 18:50

Hi,

From an "official" point of view, we do not recommend you install Mahara on shared hosting. Some things cannot be made to work there, or can only be made to work with difficulty. If you're part of an institution, and don't have your own servers, forking out a few dollars to have a VPS instead is a good investment.

Having said this, many people run Mahara on shared hosting, with wildly varying levels of success - I'm sure some people could report how they're getting on Smile

Regarding blackboard - it's a non-trivial problem, as blackboard developer licenses cost thousands of dollars which we simply don't have Sealed. I'm unaware of anyone having done blackboard integration yet. 

2 results